PDA

View Full Version : rocks for aquarium.

agrainger
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
finally got my tank. ended up with 144 half round. about to start setting up. plan on 1" pool filter sand, realistic fake plants. maybe a piece of driftwood. wife wants a stacked rock in the aquarium. is there a river rock or something similar i can get at homedepot alot cheaper then LFS. that won't harm the fish or change ph.

wendy9722
01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Welcome to SD!!!
I personally wouldnt have a lot of rocks or decor in the tank. It makes it really hard to clean on a every other day basis or more if you are planning to put discus in it. Make sure the tank is cycled before you do put fish in it. Best of luck!!!
Wendy

Jennie
01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Don't use gravel or rocks..

ericatdallas
01-17-2011, 09:47 AM
finally got my tank. ended up with 144 half round. about to start setting up. plan on 1" pool filter sand, realistic fake plants. maybe a piece of driftwood. wife wants a stacked rock in the aquarium. is there a river rock or something similar i can get at homedepot alot cheaper then LFS. that won't harm the fish or change ph.

Here's what I learned about stacked rocks in my aquarium... a lot of gunk gets in between the rocks and the tank gets really nasty. In fact, I reduced the stacked rocks from like 9 to like 3 for that reason. Unless both sides are perfectly flat and smooth... then it might be okay but debris will still end up between, but then I don't know of any rocks that are perfectly flat...unless it's tile...

Hmm... I suppose you could use silicone to bind them and then it would reduce the debris...

Also, don't even think of leaning rock against the back. I found skinny little fish (i.e. discus) like to lodge themselves in there and they end up getting stuck and dying before you even realize it. I've lost two discus and 3 otocinclus that way. Plus it's a pain to get their dead bodes out. Not to mention all the junk that gets trapped behind that as well.

Driftwood is good. Just make sure not to provide your fish with too many hiding places. Sometimes they end up so paranoid about coming out they won't eat. Besides, what's the point of having discus if they're always hiding...