PDA

View Full Version : discus pair tank size

bluefish15
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
To make a long story short, I am now the owner of a pair of adopted discus, both around 4-5 inches. The previous owner was in the process of moving, broke his aquarium, and decided to give his fish to me and start new. I have reef tanks and south american and african cichlids, so I'm not a total aquarium noob, but have never taken the jump with discus.

My problem right now is that I had to put the fish in an aquarium asap, and all I had was a 10 gallon planted tank with a few otocinclus living in it. The water is ok in terms of ph and and all that, the only problem was the temp at 80, but it has been adjusted to 85. The fish seem to have moved in well, and are eating without complaint and are not hiding like new fish usually do. Since you guys know far more than I do about these wonderful fish, should I begin setting up a larger tank for them, or will they be fine where they are at?

jimg
01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I would go to 29 gal. but 20 will be fine with more wc's. I keep 82-84 on adults.

ericatdallas
01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
To make a long story short, I am now the owner of a pair of adopted discus, both around 4-5 inches. The previous owner was in the process of moving, broke his aquarium, and decided to give his fish to me and start new. I have reef tanks and south american and african cichlids, so I'm not a total aquarium noob, but have never taken the jump with discus.

My problem right now is that I had to put the fish in an aquarium asap, and all I had was a 10 gallon planted tank with a few otocinclus living in it. The water is ok in terms of ph and and all that, the only problem was the temp at 80, but it has been adjusted to 85. The fish seem to have moved in well, and are eating without complaint and are not hiding like new fish usually do. Since you guys know far more than I do about these wonderful fish, should I begin setting up a larger tank for them, or will they be fine where they are at?

Well, it breaks the 10G of water per discus. It pushes the 1" of fish per gallon too...

From reading (...and now personal experience with three lone discus), it's not advisable to keep fewer than 6 discus per tank. I actually saw a lot of aggression with my 6 discus too but virtually none with 16. I have three in a 75G and they constantly pick at a third one.

So unless they're a mated pair or you don't witness any aggression... they're probably still a little skittish from the move and the fact that they're stuck in a 10G. I would move them somewhere else ASAP.

What S. Americans do you have and in what size tank? They -might- be compatible with your discus (at least temporarily).

bluefish15
01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I think the fish are a mated pair, but my neighbor said he never witnessed them lay eggs. They were together for a year in the previous tank (75 gallon) without problems. Going off the assumption that they are a mated pair, what size tank would work for them?

About my south americans, there is no way I would put discus in with them. A 14 in oscar, a 14 in black bar cichlid, two 10 in red devils, 3 12 in jack dempseys, and a group of convicts call it home. It's slightly less dangerous than a box of rabid dogs.

ericatdallas
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
I think the fish are a mated pair, but my neighbor said he never witnessed them lay eggs. They were together for a year in the previous tank (75 gallon) without problems. Going off the assumption that they are a mated pair, what size tank would work for them?

About my south americans, there is no way I would put discus in with them. A 14 in oscar, a 14 in black bar cichlid, two 10 in red devils, 3 12 in jack dempseys, and a group of convicts call it home. It's slightly less dangerous than a box of rabid dogs.

LOL! At least if they are mated and you get fry, you can use them for culling. That must be one massive tank!

I'm not an expert on Discus but I know 10G is way too small... I probably would feel comfortable with a 29G.

PAR23
01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I would go with at least a 20G.

Keith Perkins
01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I would go with at least a 20G.

+1 You could get by with a 20, but I personally would go a little bigger.

Jennie
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
20 gallon way too small unless you are breeding them..IMO..be humane and bump it to 40.
stay Bare bottom and do your water changes at least 3x a week

Jhhnn
01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
A 29 would do for 2, given that they're not very large. 29's are also the most commonly available and inexpensive tanks in that size range. It may be a pair or just 2 compatico adults- it's really impossible to say from here.

danny2013
01-20-2011, 12:25 AM
go with a 29. More room for the fish. With a 20 they will be cramped with the filter and cone IMO