PDA

View Full Version : Discus Stocking

birtyboy10
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi all!

I probably already know the answer to this but i would like your personal expert opinions on whether i could keep 10 juvies at 3 inch in a 42 gallon tank with 50% water changes a day? I will be upgrading to a 72 gallon before they are full adults as well

Regards
Steve

Dudley Eirich
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
I am keeping 10 juveniles from about 3" to 5" in a 75 gal tank with 70% water changes daily and am keeping nitrate below 10 ppm. I also raised 8 discus to adulthood in a 55 gal tank and they did well. That was a while ago so I don't remember my water change routine, but it was probably not more than 25% weekly. However, for optimal growth and health, 42 gal seems a bit small for that many discus if they get too much bigger. The sooner you can get them to the 72 gal the better.

birtyboy10
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
I am keeping 10 juveniles from about 3" to 5" in a 75 gal tank with 70% water changes daily and am keeping nitrate below 10 ppm. I also raised 8 discus to adulthood in a 55 gal tank and they did well. That was a while ago so I don't remember my water change routine, but it was probably not more than 25% weekly. However, for optimal growth and health, 42 gal seems a bit small for that many discus if they get too much bigger. The sooner you can get them to the 72 gal the better.

Thanks for the advice im working on trying to have the both tanks running but atm cost is a slight factor so an upgrade will have to be in order relatively soon then :S

Thanks again
Regards
Steve