PDA

View Full Version : Does aging water remove the chlorine?

Ad7
01-20-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm currently aging my water for a couple of days before i do a water change? Does aging water get rid of the chlorine? I'm not using a water conditioner at the moment and am just wondering if i should?

Thanks, Ad.

Melissa
01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure about the answer to your question.... But I do know most water conditioners also neutralize more than just chlorine... Like Prime takes care of heavy metals and chloramines. If I were you I would use it no matter how long you age your water. If you're using tap water, you never know when your local water company may get screwy and all of a sudden you've got dead or dying discus.
Better to err on the safe side when it comes to discus.

Just my $0.02 :)

jball1125
01-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Yes you should be able to get rid of small traces of chlorine by aging your water. I recommend you aerate it aswell and start using a conditioner as soon as you can. There are chloramines that would take a lot longer than a couple of days to completely be removed from water.

flyman767
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Chlorine will dissipate via aeration(minimum 24 hrs)..Chloramine will NOT dissipate via aeration. If your not sure call your local water department to find out what they use. If you want to be safe: use a dechlorinator(Safe/Amquel,etc..)

LizStreithorst
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
What Flyman said is correct. I have only chlorine in my water. I use no products. I aerate it for 24 hours and it's good to go.

Jhhnn
01-21-2011, 12:18 AM
More and more providers are switching to chloramines all the time, and it's not like they make a big whoop-ti-do when that happens, because the vast majority of users won't know the difference. Your fish will know the difference if you're not using a suitable water conditioner, and not in a good way at all.

There are a lot of reasons, but chief among them is that chloramines do a better job with fewer undesirable byproducts, like trihalomethanes. They're also more persistent, meaning that they still act as effective disinfectant at the far reaches of the distribution system better than chlorine. At least, that's why Denver Water says they use Chloramines.

Ad7
01-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Thank guys, i'll be going out tomorrow to get some water conditioner. Beter to be safe than sorry.

Ad.

Laconic
01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
There are many factors that determine how long it takes for chlorine to evapourate. How much the water co. puts in and if you aerate are big factors. I called my local water co. and they do not use chloramine so I aerate my water with 2 air stones for 22-24 hours depending on when I do the daily water change and have had no issues. I do not use dechlorinators. Saves me some cash not having to add :)

flyman767
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
There are many factors that determine how long it takes for chlorine to evapourate. How much the water co. puts in and if you aerate are big factors. I called my local water co. and they do not use chloramine so I aerate my water with 2 air stones for 22-24 hours depending on when I do the daily water change and have had no issues. I do not use dechlorinators. Saves me some cash not having to add :)

The best way to find out how much chlorine is in your water is using DPD tabs. They can be found at pool supply stores and there very inexpensive. However, most water companies will vary the amount of chlorine in the water depending on various run-off conditions; therefore the amount of chlorine in your water may very. The DPD tabs will give you a accurate description of how much aeration/dechlorinator you will need to apply.