PDA

View Full Version : Bad Batch of Metricide?.....wiped out discus.

Sharkbait
01-21-2011, 03:03 AM
It was a hard night tonight...

During the afternoon, I did my usual fish routine (ferts, food, metricide, etc.)

I had dinner with the wife and went over to her mom's place cause she's housesitting.

I come home...and nearly my entire tank was nuked.

I lost 5 discus, 2 large clown loaches that I've had for 3 1/2 years, and a small school of cardinal and rummynose tetras (about 20). Ironically enough, no guppies died.

I don't know what happened...it was a usual routine, but my fingers are pointing at the metricide. After I came home, I rushed and did crazy water change. I managed to save a young discus and one of my clown loaches. If only I was home sooner, I probably would have been able to save them all (that's what hurts the most).

Tested the water....it was all normal.

C02 wasn't dumped, running normally.

I got this new bottle of metricide recently. Before this I used Metricide14. This other bottle was Metricide28 (my wife works at a dental office and orders this stuff in all the time). I was curious about it because of the 28...thinking that it was TWICE the strength. I checked the labels and it seemed to match with the previous bottle that I had been using for a while, so I dosed my normal amount.

I think it's time for a break. We really don't have the money right now to restock. There are still guppies, gouramis, a lonely krib and clown loach, and two bushy plecos. I just feel terrible. I'll sleep on it for a night.

But for anyone who uses metricide...I know it's an alternative to excel, and it HAS worked for me in the past...I just don't know what happened.

Second Hand Pat
01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Really sorry this happened. Maybe in time you will have the heart and means to restock.

pcsb23
01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
It have been the Metricide28 as it contains a surfactant. Ordinary Metricide does not.

Sorry about the fish.