PDA

View Full Version : My first ever discus babies...had to

mikel
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
humor the parents and let them do their thing....The babies are very nice, 1 week old. These babies are getting live BBS and frozen BBS on alternate days. They seem to be ok with it. What to do with a Blue Diamond overpopulation would be my next challenge...thanks for looking mike:)

hedut
01-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Congrats Mike

mikel
01-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Some more pics

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2011, 07:11 PM
That's super Mike and congrats on your first young'uns. How many are in the spawn?

mikel
01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Hi Pat and Hendri: This is probably this pair's third spawn. The girl give out huge numbers of eggs, but the boy had always been a bit slow in making the deal final. Fine with me because I was always ready to syphon all of the eggs out (dont want to deal with the hassle of the babies). But this last time, almost all the eggs stayed black, and within 2.5 days, there were close to 200 fry. When i actually tried to syphon the eggs, both of the fish attacked my hands like it was the last thing they will do...so brave that I was really moved. So I let them do their thing. I think there are about 75-100 babies left from an original number of about 200. I have brought the water level back to its normal level now that the fry are stronger. I am also feeding the parents like always so that they can start training the babies onto my homemade BH/seafood mix asap. These Blue diamonds are very strong, very pretty and both have red eyes. I have an albino SS that I bought from Hebut earlier that I want to try breeding. They are still pretty young but already past 6 inches, andI think its a boy and a girl. Thanks for looking. mike

moik
01-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Never get tired of looking at discus fry pictures..you are doing a great job raising dsiscus up...I can tell by the fat spot between thier eyes..great job ..

mikel
01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks Moik, I assume you are refering to the adult parents and their head-on shot. They both have very thick forehead; in fact all my adult and young adult discus have that face/head shape because they eat way too much. But they only get my homemade Bh/seafood mix that I evolved from Eddie's original great recipe. They eat better than me. I have another young male BD that is even fatter than these two. He is absolutely huge and fat, but he has no desire to spawn because I think at 1.5 years, he is still too young. mike

vera
01-22-2011, 08:57 PM
well done Mikel , u'll definitely will need more tanks before u sell fry

mikel
01-23-2011, 08:05 AM
I only have 2 40 breeder tanks and they are both taken (one with the parents, the other with 6 fully or almost fully grown discus). I have a 10 gallon used for BBS hatching...that's it. This is the reason why I never wanted my fish to spawn. Like some teens, they dont think before they do the deed. mike

TURQ64
01-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Hmm, Too bad shipping is so costly; I've got at least sixty- thirty gal. breeder's, and I'd be happy to give you a few cheap!.I hate to see wiggler's become sushi...Best of luck, Gary

ss16534
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Congrats Mike ,,, so in how many days they became free swimmers from eggs laid

mmorris
01-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Great looking fry, Mike! Well done! Yup, time to get more tanks. :noway:

Joker43
01-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Great looking Family you got there Mike... Sorry to read the sadness in your post about no room for the lil' ones. You did know
it was going to happen can't always blame the teens....lol. I'll move out my bed to make room when my fish get old enough to spawn. I'll even sactrifice a night out on the town to buy more tanks....lol.
Your fish do look good, You know your discus well... Keep up the good work and Good luck...

Tito:jester: