PDA

View Full Version : Does gill fluke only affect discus?

Elyse
01-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Or are the other fish in my aquarium at risk because my new fluke infested discus???
(cardinal tetras, oto catfish, diamond tetras)

I ordered medication that will arrive in 3-5 days, and am wondering if I should salt bath my other fish as well as the discus in the mean time juuuuust in case....:confused:

jball1125
01-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Most tetras wont survive medication for gill flukes. It is one of the hardest parasites to get rid of. And yes your other fish will also be affected by the flukes.

CrazyAngels
01-23-2011, 01:39 AM
you mentioned "new infested discus". This is why many of us QT all our new stock before placing into a community tank. I wish you the best in controlling the ailment.

Jorge

William Palumbo
01-23-2011, 01:52 AM
If there's a gill...there's a fluke(s)...Bill

PAR23
01-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Or are the other fish in my aquarium at risk because my new fluke infested discus???
(cardinal tetras, oto catfish, diamond tetras)

I ordered medication that will arrive in 3-5 days, and am wondering if I should salt bath my other fish as well as the discus in the mean time juuuuust in case....:confused:

How do you know it was your discus that infected the tank and not the other way around? Where did you get your discus?

Jennie
01-23-2011, 06:45 AM
All discus carry flukes regardless, It's how bad the infestation is

scottthomas
01-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Well put. +1

Elyse
01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
How do you know it was your discus that infected the tank and not the other way around? Where did you get your discus?

I brought my two discus home from Big Al's about two months ago, and I noticed right away they both had a clamped gill. I couldn't be sure it was fluke, so I decided to wait for other symptoms, and I also knew that flukes are common with discus and that it may not affect the discus too much, and that its the fry you have to worry about? I didn't want to douce them with chemicals if I didn't need to... so I know I brought the flukes home with the discus.

Then there was a sale on cardinal tetras at Big Al's i had been waiting for, so I bought ten to add to my two discus in their tall thirty gallon aquarium (I plan on upgrading when I get out of Uni). They were all fine and happy, UNTILL I did a poor water change (I foolishly caused a lot of turbidity), I think it stressed out one of the discus and it made a turn for the worst with its flukes and began to show other symptoms!!!

So I bought praziPro and vitamins online that will come sometime next week....does anyone know if cardinal tetras can survive PraziPro?!?! it's the same stuff the vet gave my puppy too! Is it that bad?

PAR23
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes fluke can be fatal for frys. As for PraziPro and cardinals, that I am not sure of. I only have experiences using Prazi powder on discus only.

Eddie
01-30-2011, 12:51 AM

Lmao, like this phrase. Maybe might tweak it to "where there's a gill, there's a fluke" ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Darrell Ward
01-30-2011, 01:19 AM
I brought my two discus home from Big Al's about two months ago, and I noticed right away they both had a clamped gill. I couldn't be sure it was fluke, so I decided to wait for other symptoms, and I also knew that flukes are common with discus and that it may not affect the discus too much, and that its the fry you have to worry about? I didn't want to douce them with chemicals if I didn't need to... so I know I brought the flukes home with the discus.

Then there was a sale on cardinal tetras at Big Al's i had been waiting for, so I bought ten to add to my two discus in their tall thirty gallon aquarium (I plan on upgrading when I get out of Uni). They were all fine and happy, UNTILL I did a poor water change (I foolishly caused a lot of turbidity), I think it stressed out one of the discus and it made a turn for the worst with its flukes and began to show other symptoms!!!

So I bought praziPro and vitamins online that will come sometime next week....does anyone know if cardinal tetras can survive PraziPro?!?! it's the same stuff the vet gave my puppy too! Is it that bad?

PraziPro won't kill your Cardinals. I once did three, 5 day treatments with 50 cardinals in it, all survived.

scottthomas
01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
PraziPro won't kill your Cardinals. I once did three, 5 day treatments with 50 cardinals in it, all survived. I personally dont thinkl it kills flukes either. I once had a breeder tell me to use it at x2.5 strength if it was for flukes.

moik
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Sound almost like a motivational saying...
Lmao, like this phrase. Maybe might tweak it to "where there's a gill, there's a fluke" ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

yogi
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Gill flukes can affect any fish, it just seems like some types of fish are bothered more than others. Discus and koi are both bothered a lot. There is a lot of information on gill flukes and koi if you do a google search on koi. Then at the other end it seems as thou catfish and plecos are almost immune to them. Even in a discus tank not all discus are affected to the same degree some seem to be bothered more than others. There are a lot of different treatments out there and it just seems hard to get rid of them in the long run.