PDA

View Full Version : looking to upgrade heaters

utiliy
01-23-2011, 06:32 AM
any imput on the Finnex HPS Heater Series
have problems with jagers....imagine that.

jimg
01-23-2011, 11:10 AM
David Rose has sera heaters. which a lot of people are switching to

utiliy
01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
i read some about them....but whats the deal with them working on/off with a small lamp?
i may of misunderstood it-but im taking it u need a small lamp? or it works when the lamp is on in the heater?
im done with jagers...had one in the breeding tank with fry attached-and temp got down to 69! all is well-but i put a trusty aqua clear in for now...
reading about the finnex-i think ill like those.
just want imput before i buy 3-4...thx

jimg
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't know anything about needing a lamp. I have had a few jagers go bad but I also have some for a long time too. I don't know about finnex, but I like the sera so far.

utiliy
01-24-2011, 08:08 AM
the website has writing about on/off by using a lamp?
i used aqua clear heaters for years-1 went bad went to jagers...have 2 jagers that went bad....going to something else.

phil47952
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
I use a Ranco and never a problem.........

Phil

utiliy
01-24-2011, 09:20 AM
SERA 200W Aquarium Heater.

A high quality heater with a 2 mm glass tube and precision protection circuit.
Sera aquarium heaters are very short and are easy to install in small aquariums. The function control (on/off) is achieved by means of a small lamp.

200W Heater Specifications:

* Length: 11.8"
* Recommended Aquarium Size: 26-66 gal.
* Fully Submersible
* Includes Protective Grid Guard
* 2 Years Manufacturer's Warranty

ok...whats the on/off small lamp actually mean? like a regular heater-light on-its on?

Teh
01-24-2011, 09:24 AM
it is just an indicator to show if the heater is on/off, just like regular heater nothing fancy.

TURQ64
01-24-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm going to give a finnex or two a try, but Jager's have always been my mainstay..A bad one now and then, but I figure that's the nature of the beast. Just as a reference, I have three tanks with Jager's so old that you can service them!(take apart and re-solder connections, etc) I bought them at a San Francisco Aquarium Society auction in 1981 and they were well used already. If they didn't fail once in a while, their wouldn't be so many manufacturers!

William Palumbo
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Been using VIA-AQUA heaters with absolutely no problems. As of right now are the only ones I buy. and are cheap too!...Bill

roundfishross
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Been using VIA-AQUA heaters with absolutely no problems. As of right now are the only ones I buy. and are cheap too!...Bill

me too over a year running 25+ of these in various wattages and have had no failures!

utiliy
01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
i see pet mountain has a blow out on these via aqua heaters...

runner
01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
I have used visi-therms for a long time and they were really very reliable. Lately some of them have started to leak and just recently I was away for 2 days I lost a tank of 5 red turqs because of failure. I need to mention the ambient temp. in my fish room now is 58-62F .I have taken these apart as far as you can, let them dry out for a week,and then siliconed them and sealed them back up. Will be testing them shortly.
Has anyone had the same problem? I need some new heaters and I don't know where to go. It seems to me that there is no real consensus out there as to what is the best.
Any thoughts?
Jay

utiliy
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM
thats what im kind of steering to here in this thread...just what kind to get.
i drive a truck, and the feerful call on the road is what a temperature is at a tank 400 miles away from home.
those via aquas are cheap-but if they work-and have good luck with them, thats what ill purchase....only 10 bucks....jagers are 3 times that for what i call in my circumstances-JUNK.<<<my opionion.
im going to pack up the jagers and send them back-maybe they will throw them away for me.

wonder what kind eddie uses?

Eddie
01-25-2011, 07:13 AM
thats what im kind of steering to here in this thread...just what kind to get.
i drive a truck, and the feerful call on the road is what a temperature is at a tank 400 miles away from home.
those via aquas are cheap-but if they work-and have good luck with them, thats what ill purchase....only 10 bucks....jagers are 3 times that for what i call in my circumstances-JUNK.<<<my opionion.
im going to pack up the jagers and send them back-maybe they will throw them away for me.

wonder what kind eddie uses?

LOL, I use jagers. Had one stop working a long time ago but it was already 5-6 years old. I tested a SERA and I don't like it, it is collecting way too much condensation inside and I need to toss it. Its not worth the risk at all. I'll have to try out one of the VIA-AQUAs and see how they fair.

utiliy
01-25-2011, 07:43 AM
that is funny....
i would be happy with a 5 year heater.

Larry208
01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
any imput on the Finnex HPS Heater Series
have problems with jagers....imagine that.

Have used the finnex heaters from Kens Fish and like them. That is what I had in all my tanks for almost a year with no problems, then all of a sudden I had 5 out of six burn out.(all with in the same week) The heating element part seems to burn out on them. So they seem to last about a year.

But have to say they kept the tank with in 1 or 2 degrees. If you go with them I`d keep a few spares around to have a back up.

I am thinking of trieing the deep blue stiks that Kens has next.

Larry

moik
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the SERA ones do not go up to a high degree temperature though..I think they max out at 86 degrees but do not go high into the 90's for some medication treatments require..I am in the market to buy more heaters now and really more confused than ever..Jagars are slowly losing thier rep. anymore ??

moik
01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Ranco please elaborate some more on this brand/tpye of heater..
I use a Ranco and never a problem.........

Phil

alpine
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
I have used Marineland Stealth heaters for about four years and then have used the new type with the light indicators . Have been very pleased with them .

Roberto.

moik
01-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I am glad you have success with them..I have had nothing but problems and they killed alot of discus for me and others..I have way too many heaters to change over at one time..I was switching over to Jagars recently and am starting to find out they are not that good either..I guess there is not a perfect heater out there anymore..
I have used Marineland Stealth heaters for about four years and then have used the new type with the light indicators . Have been very pleased with them .

Roberto.

scottishbloke
01-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Before I started using Jagers in my 90g discus tank, I used the Via Aqua 300 watt heaters, and they have always been extremely reliable for me and very easy to use- no calibration needed. I have used them in my QT tank, my 20g long and 29g juvie grow-out tanks, and am currently using one in my old 55g tank, which is now a rainbowfish community tank once again. The glass in these heaters is thick like the Jagers- I hit one against a concrete floor by mistake and it did not crack. Do not forget to switch one off during a big w/c though as it might shatter, they are simple with no auto shut-off and get really hot very quickly. I melted the suction cup holders doing that once. I think that for 10-15 bucks, the Via Aquas have been great IMHO.

Colin

captainandy
01-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Ranco is a temperature controller. there are a variety of controllers on the market. A very good and inexpensive on e is the reef keeper lite.
Quite frankly, I think it's almost crazy to not protect your investments with a temperature controller. Reef enthusiasts always use them as a couple of degree shift can lead to massive coral death.
Believe me, i've been into this hobby since the early 60's and all heater brands have the potential to malfunction. Only security and protection is a good controller.

Discus-Hans
01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
"Funny" thing, I had some Won heaters, with controllers, those iron sticks. Because of the cold water coming in in winter time I've a few in our storage tanks. One was tripping the fuse last week and I thought, put it on high, it's just in storage tanks so what the heck, if they over heat, it will only help. They are 300W.
Now I thought, hmmm is it still heating and than I made a little mistake, plugged it in and wanted to feel if the "stick" was getting warm. I've no idea how long I was out but I woke up later on the floor, it was "hot" but not in the meaning of warm. I remember me shaking but after that nothing. I was a few days...... let's call it off.

People, be careful with those iron sticks, if you don't trust them, trow them away, don't be an idiot like me, the few days headache and the experience of being an idiot is not worth the few $$ for a new heater,

the idiot.

Jhhnn
01-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Jagers have worked fine for me so far- no failures in nearly 2 years. I do plug them into finnex controllers from Kensfish. My big worry isn't failing off, but rather sticking on, having cooked a tank of discus many years ago with an inferior heater.

I'm with Hans- any suspect heater goes in the trash. None of my jagers, but rather some no name ones that came with used tanks. I fix a lot of electrical stuff, both at work & home, but not submersible heaters. You only need to get bit once to figure it out, either here or in the hereafter...

Eddie
01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
I think the SERA ones do not go up to a high degree temperature though..I think they max out at 86 degrees but do not go high into the 90's for some medication treatments require..I am in the market to buy more heaters now and really more confused than ever..Jagars are slowly losing thier rep. anymore ??

Actually, the 150W Sera that I have goes to 89. The funny thing is, if I lay it down horizontal like I do with my Jagers, it will go above 90F. I have no idea why but its odd.

acroken
01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

+++1- best heater ever used. Never a problem.

Northwoods Discus
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I really like the JBJ heaters with the digital control. They are very expensive though. Near a $100.00 each. The JBJ lighting I have has lasted and lasted. The two heaters have been going for near 2 years now with no issues. If you have some very special stock you may want to consider these. I also have 2 Finnex heaters from Kens and I like those as well. They also have a nice red digital display.

Condor
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
For those of you who use via aqua... Do you use the glass ones or the titanium ones with the controller...

Adrian

acroken
01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
titanium with the controller

Kenny

roundfishross
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
glass

Harriett
01-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Good God, Hans, glad you woke up at all! That is a really scarey story. Hope you still have enough brain cells left to count to 10, huh? No kidding.

Best regards,
Harriett

moik
01-28-2011, 04:05 PM
glass or metal heaters,,trying to make my mind up..really do not if there is a good heater anymore..Heaters are a product of use and question of longevity..oh well

William Palumbo
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
These are glass. I tried some Penn-Plex Guardians awhile back because of their metal tube...Garbage!...Bill

moik
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
you are pretty confident in these via aqua heaters?? how long have ytou been using them? I am a old school person and hard for me to change but really love to hear first hand postive advice..thanks
These are glass. I tried some Penn-Plex Guardians awhile back because of their metal tube...Garbage!...Bill

3dees
01-28-2011, 05:15 PM
the built in heater on my Ehiem went bust two weeks ago. the display never worked right from day one. I decided on the jbj because of the controller. easy to set up and mag mounts on the heater and probe instead of suction cups. yes, it's a bit pricey but so far I'm happy with it.

William Palumbo
01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
you are pretty confident in these via aqua heaters?? how long have ytou been using them? I am a old school person and hard for me to change but really love to hear first hand postive advice..thanks

Been a almost 2 years since I tried my first one. Not a long time, but for most heaters I have tried, 3-5 months, and they show their true colors. I will be ordering more to have on hand, and to replace some older misc. brands I have...Bill

moik
01-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Your pretty much making my mind up...worth a try atleast..thanks

peterhql
01-28-2011, 07:53 PM
if you use canister filters, something to consider is the hydor inline heater. Ive used them in the past and I'm currently using just one 300 watt on my 90 gallon tank. It keeps my temperature at 84 degrees easily. I've never seen the temp fluctuate more than half a degree or so.

the best thing about it is, you don't see it.

utiliy
01-28-2011, 09:45 PM
say Bill-u ordering from pet mountain? they seem to have the best price...if not let me know. im looking for about a dozen...thx for all the imput.

moik
01-30-2011, 09:49 PM
I just boxed up 8 stealth heaters to be sent back for warranty replacements.. 3rd and 4th time for some of these heaters to be replaced ,I will use them for backups only..I am still alittle confused on which brand to buy now..

Discus-Hans
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Still wonder why I pay a fortune on heating the whole building............ oil is cheaper as fish soup lol

Hans

roundfishross
01-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Hans, what dp you do when then central heat takes a dump?

Discus-Hans
01-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Hans, what dp you do when then central heat takes a dump?

Go to bed and hope the next day everything will be okay :p :p :p

No just kidding, I've 2 big oil heaters one in each part of the building, fans blowing to both sides to transport the air/heat. If one gives up, the other keeps it up for a while.

But....... just before Christmas one worked and shut off, if you restarted it, it worked fine, till it shut off and had to restart again.......

Had 3 or 4 companies in, nobody could solve the problem, from before Christmas till in the New Year, every 2 ~ 3 hours (24/7) to the fish house to check, now if you get there at 3am and it's off, you didn't come for nothing. Most frustrating was if you come out of your bed, drive to the fish house and it's working #$#@#$%&^% could have stayed in my bed lol lol

Problem is solved now, it was was I said from the beginning, the tank was to far from the heater, they moved the tank and from that moment it haven't shut off on me anymore.

We also have now 11 big dehumidifiers running, they give a nice heat and if the oil gets empty (never will because they refill every week) I've 12 electric space heaters.

If power goes out, see top first line,

Hans

Hans

Jennie
01-31-2011, 01:20 AM
good gawd, can't imagine the bills??

utiliy
01-31-2011, 09:02 AM
im leaning towards the via-aqua heaters...

DiscusOnly
01-31-2011, 10:37 AM

No just kidding, I've 2 big oil heaters one in each part of the building, fans blowing to both sides to transport the air/heat. If one gives up, the other keeps it up for a while.

But....... just before Christmas one worked and shut off, if you restarted it, it worked fine, till it shut off and had to restart again.......

Had 3 or 4 companies in, nobody could solve the problem, from before Christmas till in the New Year, every 2 ~ 3 hours (24/7) to the fish house to check, now if you get there at 3am and it's off, you didn't come for nothing. Most frustrating was if you come out of your bed, drive to the fish house and it's working #$#@#$%&^% could have stayed in my bed lol lol

Problem is solved now, it was was I said from the beginning, the tank was to far from the heater, they moved the tank and from that moment it haven't shut off on me anymore.

We also have now 11 big dehumidifiers running, they give a nice heat and if the oil gets empty (never will because they refill every week) I've 12 electric space heaters.

Hans

Hans

Hans,

Why not add a relatively cheap and easy to install unit such as a Sensaphone to the fish house? It can be set up to call you under certain conditions. I have one in my computer server room at work to detect for water on floor or when the AC fails causing high temps.

Van

terps
01-31-2011, 11:21 AM

Hans

Hans

Hey Hans,

How much heating oil do you use a week / month during the winter season?

Jhhnn
02-02-2011, 11:57 PM
im leaning towards the via-aqua heaters...

I'd trust Bill's judgement, although I have to say that my Eheim Jagers work great, and that I don't buy anything anywhere until I've checked with Kensfish...

JEB
02-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Had a visitherm stealth blow up in my tank. Tried two new sera heaters, 250 watt and 300 watt. They both allowed a 50 gallon tank set at 85 degrees drop to 79 before heating. Tried each one for a day each and had same results with them. Not good. Also tried a Finnex after that which I am impressed with. It is keeping tank right at temperature. I check it many times each day since now I am paranoid. Very accurate but only 5 day track record so far. Seras had very inaccurate thermostats right out of box

Discoholic
02-03-2011, 02:26 AM
As mentioned, pet mountain has the via aqua heaters on blow out. I also found a few coupons. For free shipping for orders over $60, type in "free" at check-out. Typing in "ten" will get you a 10% discount on your purchase. I just purchased 6 of the 300 w glass heaters for 69.42 shipped!

PS.. I have no affiliation with pet mountain. It just seemed to be too good of a deal not to pass along to fellow bargin shopper/discus keepers.

moik
02-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Kens fish has those via aquas too..his normal prices are pet mountains sale prices..i always buy from Ken first.HTH

William Palumbo
02-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Kens fish has those via aquas too..his normal prices are pet mountains sale prices..i always buy from Ken first.HTH

+1...Bill

Keith Perkins
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Eight months ago I had a nearly new 29 gallon fish stand I no longer had any use for that I returned to the LFS for full credit. I needed a couple of heaters and wanted Jagers but of course they didn't have any. I ended up with a couple Aqueon Pro 150s one of which I immediately dropped into a storage barrel and it's been working fine ever since. The second one I put in a 55 gallon tank about 6 weeks ago and Thursday night I stuck my hand into the tank to feed the fish and brrrr. Now these units come with a lifetime guarantee if you call and return them to Aqueon with a receipt but of course since they were part of a swap I had no receipt. I called Aqueon Friday morning and started my story with I put this new Aqueon Pro 150 in a tank about 6 weeks ago and it's no longer working. They asked about the heating/at heat indicator light and I said it wasn't working either. That was the end of the conversation, they're sending me another one.

Now even though Aqueon is a Wisconsin company I've always been a little leery of them. I primarily wondered about the quality of their products, especially given how much stuff they crank out. I have to say though that my couple of experiences with their customer service department lately is making me reexamine that position. I was looking for o-rings lately for a coralife RO unit and couldn't find them anywhere on-line. Aqueon recently purchased coralife, and for whatever reason the replacement parts supply chain hasn't caught up. Same story there, they sent me what I needed at no charge.

Heaters guaranteed for life, awesome customer service, I can't believe I'm putting this in writing but consider Aqueon Pros.

moik
02-05-2011, 01:08 PM
The new black Aqueon heaters are basically the old stealths,,which were good in my opinion..they made in italy and have a twist knob dial..I have heard good things about them so far ,but nothing long term though..I do not know what to think any bodies heaters anymore..I always buy aqueon fish tanks over any other manufactuer..