PDA

View Full Version : Is two a good number?

CSC2334
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi! It has been a long time since my last post. How's everyone doing? It finally takes me this long to decide to make a plunge with Discus. I Have some questions and need some advice.

I just recently bought 2 discus. they are about 3 inches body size. I have them in our 46 gallon bowfront tank. Will this be adequate as they grow larger? Also, is 2 a good number, or do they need more for company, and will the 46 gallon be adequate for more?

Thank you

ericatdallas
01-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I've read this answer enough times I feel confident enough to state it... most people are going to recommend at least 6 discus so they don't pick on each other (unless they're a mated pair). The rule is 10G per discus, so you may have 4-5 discus in that tank unless you have a lot of other fish, lots of decorations, etc (anything that reduces the effective space per discus). Also, since they are juvies, you should have them a BB tank to grow them out, otherwise they will be stunted.

However, if you don't care how your fish look, the BB is optional. One might pick on the other though and stress it to death. The more fish you have the more the aggression gets distributed out. I have 16 in my tank and I don't notice them pick on each other except during feeding time.

How did I do guys? :P

CSC2334
01-23-2011, 02:26 PM
...since they are juvies, you should have them a BB tank to grow them out, otherwise they will be stunted....

Thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate on why they will be stunted without a BB tank? Our tank has a substrate and a large bog log and lots of live plants. We estimate these take up about 6 gallons of the tank space. So, I guess 4 discus would be the max for our tank? By the way, what food do you feed the juvies mostly? (we plan to mostly feed them frozen blood worms. and maybe frozen brine shrimp) How many times a day?

ericatdallas
01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate on why they will be stunted without a BB tank? Our tank has a substrate and a large bog log and lots of live plants. We estimate these take up about 6 gallons of the tank space. So, I guess 4 discus would be the max for our tank? By the way, what food do you feed the juvies mostly? (we plan to mostly feed them frozen blood worms. and maybe frozen brine shrimp) How many times a day?

it's not that you _NEED_ BB, but it helps keep the ammonia, nitrates down when you feed your discus heavily. It helps for cleaning and vacuum debris from the bottom. You need to feed them a lot to get them to grow.

My first time into discus I bought 6 and I had two that grew really fast and the other four would hide and not eat much. I had gravel and planted tank too... I put so much food in it (and did daily water changes) but the nitrates and phosphates were very high which lead to an algae problem.

I ignored what the others suggested as well just to see what would happen (not that I didn't trust their advice, but I was hoping to be the exception :)

So any way, that's why I went to a BB 75G and bought more to give it another try. Since going BB and feeding BH 3-4 times a day and flakes (earthworm and brineshrimp) they have grown like mad.

The recommended feeding is 4-6 times a day and try to space them out. The reason for this is that discus have small stomachs so give them time to digest the food.

My feeding schedule isn't always ideal... mainly because I depend on my wife to feed them throughout the day when I'm at work and school (with school, it makes my hours weird).

I also change my water about 50% (I used to only change 5% and 30%) twice a day (once at 8am and another at 10pm). For WC, the most important thing to do is vacuum the bottom and any additional water is bonus.

PAR23
01-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Juvies need a lot of feedings to reach full potential. As stated, BB makes clean up much easier. Bottom line, a lot of clean water and food to grow. I have a planted tank with adults, fed 1-2 x a day, WC 4x a week, that's an option if you want a planted tank. Good luck.

ericatdallas
01-23-2011, 03:07 PM
yup, I plan to move my discus to the planted tank as soon as mine grow to 5-6" (which will be awhile..).

Well, I plan to convert the BB tank into another planted tank and split the two 6-8 in each tank. Will probably sell or give away a few.

CSC2334
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. Well, I am going to be stuck with this planted tank for now since it is established. I'll keep them well fed and do some daily water changing, which I have been doing for my wild angels anyway.

TURQ64
01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Well jeesh, since nobody covered all of your Q's, here goes...Discus like bloodworms. Heck, I feed 'em enuff to keep ordering kilo's,but...I carefully balance out frozen foods with dry goods; flake, pellets, freeze dried. Variety is good. Too many bloodworms isn't really a balanced diet, but the bigger risk is making them 'bloodworm junkies'...Hard to wean them back to more nutritious stuff. As for brine shrimp, I feed some, but am weaning the fish and myself from them. They help the red colors, but have little nutritional value compared to other things. And, they foul water quickly..Beefheart/ seafood mixes are great if you have the time for the clean-ups...Hope your fish do well...

CSC2334
01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Great nutrition information. Thanks Turq!

TURQ64
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
My pleasure!...Gary