PDA

View Full Version : Dark discus

Saxthom
01-25-2011, 12:26 PM
We just (not just now, about a week ago) got our batch of juveniles from Bill at inland (really nice guy) and one of the biggest ones is worrying us a little. After they have eaten they are all friends and swim together and they all do eat. Though during the feeding the largest one, Rex, turns very dark and aggressive. Is this going to be a problem? Will he grow out of this? If not will he hurt the others? What would the appropriate solution be if some kind of action is necessary? Thank you guys for any replies.

-Thomas

PAR23
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Welcome to Simply.

Start here please.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Saxthom
01-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry I didn't think about something like that. I'll get started on that now.

PAR23
01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry I didn't think about something like that. I'll get started on that now.

No worries.....the more info provided the better the responses will be.

Saxthom
01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Basically Rex, the largest one, turns really dark and becomes aggressive. More so when its time to eat but he is always darker than the others. And I suppose this started within the last few days but we have only had them for a week.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

He turns dark and gets aggressive towards the others.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

30g tank 7 small fish 2.5" is the very biggest.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

WC once or twice every 3-4 days right now. i know its not enough. im trying to find time for more. and was trying not to stress them more than necessary the first few days. The tank has been running for probably two months. I have a small layer of gravel at the bottom and its kinda dark im looking into something lighter

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 86-87

i havent actually tested the other parameters in a while.... i know i suck but the parameters should all be pretty close

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
They are the new fish

I dont actually think any are sick or really have anything wrong with them im mostly curious about if i should take any action at this point.

PAR23
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
I would first make sure all your water parameters are in check......Always first thing to do when they look stressed. I would also increase the WC frequencies as much as you can. Also, would consider going BB for now as they are growing out. Substrates can hide nasties. Sit tight until above is done.

Keith Perkins
01-25-2011, 04:41 PM
My biggest concern would be your substrate. As Peter has said they hide a lot of nasties, and when you're new to discus it's best to remove as many possible negative variables as possible. If you have to have something in the tank for decoration etc. you can silicone a few artifical plants to a piece of slate and toss that in there. If you have labels in the center of the tank you can't get to to remove it's also a good way to hide them.

I'd toss the fish in a pail, shut down all your filtration, quickly remove all the gravel, do a huge water change, then put your fish back into the clean tank. Your current WC routine will probably be fine once you get things sorted out, but extra WCs now shouldn't do anything but help, assuming your handling your replacement water properly (either treating with a dechlorinator or aging). Good luck with them.

Oh, and if you do take the advice to get rid of your substrate and your stand doesn't have a solid base you're going to want to cover the bottom of the tank on the outside with something. It's said that discus being able to see through the bottom of their tank unsettles them. Paint it, slap contact paper on it, or cut a piece of cardboard to fit the opening (possibly covered the colored cloth of your choice) and stick it in there.

Saxthom
02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I recently removed all of the gravel in my tank. The tank sits on top of a large dresser type wooden cabinet... thing, so the bottom is covered. Also I have changed my WC routine to 20-40 percent every day or every other day. My fish are all very light and happy and growing. Although one did die, Sparky, from what we believe to have been constipation. They all look happy now though and we know to look for the signs of constipation and keep epsom salt around. Thank you for your time and your advice, maybe one of these days I will post some pictures to show you guys their progress. -Thomas

PAR23
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. That's always a bummer but good hear your remaining ones are doing well. Best wishes