PDA

View Full Version : HELP IDENTIFYING A MALE.

flyer1988
01-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Ok guys i have a setup with 2 discus in it. 2 checkerboard pbs in a 57 gallon tank. I noticed that both discus were spending too much time near the eheim sucktion tubing. curiously i decided to come closer and noticed that one of my discus was laying eggs on the tubing, but the other discus would eat them up. question is: i have only to discus so obviously one is a female, would the other one be a female as well as i dont see him/her passing through them fertalizing them, but rather muching on them. is it possible for a discus female to lay eggs without a male?

Altum Nut
01-26-2011, 01:18 AM
A female will lay eggs and lay eggs. No male is required for this to happen.
You will know what the other discus sex is if eggs are fertile after 3 days.
However, could be that you have 2 female's as well. Did you buy these discus as a mated pair or 2 at random? You will notice the female'd tube is short and swollen and male's tube is long and slender.
The two will have to form as a pair if M/F to achieve any possible wigglers.
There is much to consider, so give them time as they may be young or the other was just not ready to get it on.

Good luck,
...Ralph

Eddie
01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
A female will lay eggs and lay eggs. No male is required for this to happen.
You will know what the other discus sex is if eggs are fertile after 3 days.
However, could be that you have 2 female's as well. Did you buy these discus as a mated pair or 2 at random? You will notice the female'd tube is short and swollen and male's tube is long and slender.
The two will have to form as a pair if M/F to achieve any possible wigglers.
There is much to consider, so give them time as they may be young or the other was just not ready to get it on.

Good luck,
...Ralph

Ditto and also, if the other fish is young male, he needs to learn how to do the deed. Young males do tend to eat eggs as they are laid but so can females. As Ralph said, give them time. :D

ss16534
01-26-2011, 08:32 AM
hi..
i heard that male take more time then female to mature