PDA

View Full Version : Aging barrel

btrader
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
I just got a plastic barrel from work. What do I need to do to prepare for water storage? It is new but was not meant to be used for food. I want to disinfect and clean it to make sure I don’t contaminate the tank with anything, plus I don’t want to use a chemical to clean it that would harm the fish ether. Thanks for your time Brad.

ZX10R
01-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I got a barrel from work and it contained silicon. I first used very hot water and bleach then I pressure washed it inside and out.

Jhhnn
01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
What was in the barrel before you got it?

btrader
01-29-2011, 09:34 AM
It was not used at all. it is a new barrel. I talked to my LFS and they said I should fill it up and add a goldfish and see what happens.

aalbina
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Is it polycarbonate? Bisphenol A, (BPA) found in that type of plastic can leach into the water over time and harm fish. http://www.chemicalsubstanceschimiques.gc.ca/fact-fait/bisphenol-a-eng.php

I would want to know what the intended usage for the barrel was - it could make a difference in what's in the plastic that might harm your fish or what the plastic was treated with after manufacture. Food grade, pretty much guarantees a safe substance for water storage. I would be pretty leery of a generic barrel without knowing more about it.

Just my two cents.

Adam