PDA

View Full Version : Don't use Marineland Stealth Heaters!

hehe
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Bought a 100w from petsmart yesterday. Plugged it in- set it at 86 and forgot about it. Went to put some fry in the tank today and checked the temp- 79 :mad: Terrible product. Does marineland not have quality control? Now I have to make the 45 minute drive again to return it. After searching I see a ton of bad experiences regarding this product. Why is this heater still being produced?

Sorry, I just had to vent...

William Palumbo
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Agreed...they suck!...Save some gas and $$$, and research and buy online. Much better heaters out there...Bill

flyman767
01-28-2011, 06:03 PM
I've tried stealth's in the past..not impressed. I've always had good luck with Jager; however, I don't care for the new design with regards to how they are calibrated. I've been using the digital Fluval E series: They are equipped with an advanced digital microprocessor monitoring system with dual temperature sensors, they continuously monitor and displays aquarium water temperature. Very accurate and reliable.

http://www.hagen.com/img/aquatic/addinfo/fluval/vuetech_micro_processor.jpg

gravjack
01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
I just threw my second 100 watt stealth away yesterday. Only about 2 or 3 months old. Not worth the bother to try and recover the warranty. Only gets another problem. After reading about the Sera heaters on here, started to switch over. Just ordered a couple more for spares. We'll see how they do. So far I've had trouble with three other brands.

John

RWD HERO
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
I have 2 and they work great. They are accurate within 2F for me.

hedut
01-28-2011, 06:49 PM
I have 2 within 200 watt but couldn't go more than 83F in 20 gallon and this brand such waste money :(

peterhql
01-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I've also had two 250-300 watt heaters crap out on me within a month of purchase. These were the "newer" kind with the led indicator. Thank god it didn't explode.

underwaterforest
01-28-2011, 08:01 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?79522-marineland-steath-heaters

Here is an older thread but the stealth's do have the ability to cause more trouble than just not heating your water properly, like say exploding. Just to be fair I do have a collection of older stealths which have worked fine for me but the newer design with the exploding epoxy core I only use in my aging barrel where it can do little harm, if it does explode.

moik
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
I would not trust a stealth heater to heat my toilet tank water...

RWD HERO
01-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Are you guys not unplugging them before you do a water change? I have read that if you leave a heater on outside of the water it can cause problems. I have noticed that the packaging says it will turn off when out of the water but mine stay light up green during a water change if i don't unplug them.

hedut
01-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Are you guys not unplugging them before you do a water change? I have read that if you leave a heater on outside of the water it can cause problems. I have noticed that the packaging says it will turn off when out of the water but mine stay light up green during a water change if i don't unplug them.

dude let me know if there any heater that you don't need to un plug when no water in tank hauhahhauhhauhaaa

RWD HERO
01-28-2011, 09:36 PM
dude let me know if there any heater that you don't need to un plug when no water in tank hauhahhauhhauhaaa

If you read the packaging, you don't need to on the stealths. It says they sense when they are not in water and turn off.

Eddie
01-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Lmao

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jhhnn
01-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Not that I recommend it, but there's this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbDFbcd8kA0

The borosilicate glass used by Jager is also widely used in labware for the same kind of reasons. It's also 2mm thick.

I'm sure they're not perfect, but they've served me well over the last 2 years. I have up to 7 working with no failures so far. I bought a Sera, just to try one, but haven't used it so far.

Stealths apparently have some problems, particularly the new ones, judging from the amount of hate & discontent all over the web...

alpine
01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Have used stealth heaters for close to five years , the old and new types and have had No fish kill like previously with another very expensive brand . Have sent some for warranty and that has been taken care first class . I still believe in them , have a proven record in my small fishroom and would not change them for any other .

Roberto.

madgicbug
02-07-2011, 03:32 AM
The only heater that has not crapped out on me overtime are the Ebo's....one old stelth heats up to 78F, one Tronic died 2 mo of use (Can't track Hagen for a refund), one 2yr old Tronic suddenly craps out and heats up to 79F (which I busted a few days ago). Jury still out on the Visitherm and the Stelth Pro as they are both less than 6mo old....which replaced the Tronics.

seanyuki
02-07-2011, 04:13 AM
Hi kevin....I'll be trying out the Sera heaters and let u know the outcome.

The only heater that has not crapped out on me overtime are the Ebo's....one old stelth heats up to 78F, one Tronic died 2 mo of use (Can't track Hagen for a refund), one 2yr old Tronic suddenly craps out and heats up to 79F (which I busted a few days ago). Jury still out on the Visitherm and the Stelth Pro as they are both less than 6mo old....which replaced the Tronics.

Eddie
02-07-2011, 05:04 AM
I tried one sera and it was crap. Leaked internally.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TURQ64
02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Time for my 'old fart rhetoric' routine again. Ebo, Ebo, Ebo...As mentioned before, I have Ebo's that are older than most forumites, some 15 years old, and some new. I haven't had any trouble with new, 250 and 300 watt models. I'm sure those of you that have had problems are rightfully pissed, but they are still the best with the longest track record...If I only had one aquarium, perhaps I'd try a brand that was really fancy or something, but time after time, heater after heater, I still swear by Ebo's...end of rant, somebody else get on the soapbox....Gary

William Palumbo
02-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Too bad Marineland is an American company. I won't spend a PENNEY on that company. They need to get their $hit together and not only correct these problems, but be held accountable and liable for problems that plague these heaters. Me and my lawyer would have so much fun with them if one of those blew up in MY tank causing all kinds of damage and killed livestock!...Bill

mathao
02-08-2011, 04:11 AM
i don't use heaters i just heat up the room where i keep my discus,.

roundfishross
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Too bad Marineland is an American company. I won't spend a PENNEY on that company. They need to get their $hit together and not only correct these problems, but be held accountable and liable for problems that plague these heaters. Me and my lawyer would have so much fun with them if one of those blew up in MY tank causing all kinds of damage and killed livestock!...Bill

Bill, the company is going quickly down the crapper! they filed chapter 11 last year and its pretty much been a spiral since then. It took me 10 mos to get the $3,000 they owed me for repair work and then I see where they can afford to donate free give away aquariums!!! I hope they're warranties are better than they're ethics!!! they THEY SUCK ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!!! I was sick of them taking more than 90 days to pay and trying to blame it on me the whole time, then the corporate lady says the hold up was because it was the "end of the fiscal year" and they just wanted to hold on to the money a little while longer!!! screw christmas for the employees they dont mean sh** to the company!!!
!!!ALL DINOSAURS WILL BECOME EXTINCT IF THEY DONT EVOLVE!!!

end rant.......leo

William Palumbo
02-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Not surprised to hear Leo!...Glad you did get some compensation for that BS. It sucks that a company may close up, but at least PRETEND to care about what you're manufacturing, and your customers. So very true in this bad economic time. Companies like these will/are being weeded out. People don't have it like they once did...Bill

jpdevol
02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
I recently had a Sleath Pro crack! and no, it was not out-of-water.

It's a sad trend in a lot of consumer products; make it cheaper and cheaper, cut customer service, etc. I hope Marineland gets its act together - I do prefer their tanks and glass covers to Aqueon.:sad:

moik
02-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Really sucks to keep seeing these posts..I have sent 8 back last week and starting a new collection to go again for warranty replacements..got 3 more so far this week..I do not know what is going on with these anymore..I guess i need to pucker up and pay for new ones from another manufactuer..

cooksa
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I never leave my heaters plugged in/turned on when doing water changes. The Marineland that exploded on me was used in a 13gal rubbermaid aging tub. I changed the water that day, but it never got down far enough to uncover the heater (had the heater suction cupped to the bottom of the tub).

mwdw
02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
last weak my dad was wondering why is fish was acting funny. put is finger in there and ZAP!!!

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-09-2011, 09:38 PM
From what I read the other day at work, there is some sort of recall on these heaters. We have stopped selling them. Not sure when/if we will ever start selling them again.

-Ryan