PDA

View Full Version : Dainbramage pair of discus

discusdaddy
01-30-2011, 01:12 AM
I have this new pair and they have laid 4 or 5 times in comunity tank and now in their own tank 6 or 7 times. They will watch the fry,fan and do awesome parenting of the eggs. Then the fry will drop to the bottom of cone and they won't pick them up. The male will even swim sideways on the bottom next to them trying to get them to attach. For some reason they get spooked for whatever reason and they eat the fry. I know if there is something off they will eat them, seen this happen many many times. Never seen a pair not round them up and put them back on the cone. 64509

moik
01-30-2011, 01:16 AM
I am starting to think I am the Idiot with brain damage!!!!! How much can I kiss a fish's a$$ to do something right...Who's the Idiot,,I do not know anymore!!!!!!!!!!

discusdaddy
01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I am starting to think I am the Idiot with brain damage!!!!! How much can I kiss a fish's a$$ to do something right...Who's the Idiot,,I do not know anymore!!!!!!!!!!

I feel you, I have had alot of prctice with the discus wifee, if she see's this I will have some kissing to do.

William Palumbo
01-30-2011, 11:26 AM

LOL!!!...Bill

scottthomas
01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Some of them can drive you crazy. I once had a beautiful pair that wanted to breed. Only problem was that male would fertilize one side of the cone as female lay eggs on the other side- usually had only 2-6 wrigglers and 200 eggs. I saw that Eddie has a pair that only like to lay eggs on a slab of frozen seafood mix- now they are just weird.

discusdaddy
01-30-2011, 11:53 AM
They will only lay on the side away from me and push the cone to the front of the tank. This time they pushed the sponge from the middle to the corner farthest from cone.The son has been trying to see how many eggs are there on the cone. Wanted to slap him upside the head, maybe that's the spooking they have been getting.

vera
01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
could be
if that 's not the case try to put pleco in there , parents will do better job trying to pickup wrigglers and put them back on the cone untill these go free swimming

scottthomas
01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
could be
if that 's not the case try to put pleco in there , parents will do better job trying to pickup wrigglers and put them back on the cone untill these go free swimming

Thats a really great idea. I'm going to use it. Thanks

vera
01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Thats a really great idea. I'm going to use it. Thanks
worked for me :)

discusdaddy
01-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Going to get grewww.davescichlids.com
en dragon from pleco guy snd throw it in there. tia

SeaDragon
01-31-2011, 01:09 AM
I have two pairs a leopard and a green torquoise, it doesnt seem to matter how many times these dumb things spawn everytime they eat the eggs. Now theyve seemed to have taken a break and the problem is trying to get them back to spawning so I can try covering them. as before I had been trying to get the parents to just take care of them, I've learned with these fish that's not happening. Crazy Fish

ericatdallas
01-31-2011, 03:10 AM
Hmm... not trying to talk you out of anything just making noting a whimsical 2:am (local) thought...

If people breed discus that don't raise their own fry, then won't we eventually end up with large populations of discus that can no longer care for their young?

I hope not, because I think watching cichlids take care of their offspring is the most interesting part of keeping cichlids.

scottthomas
01-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Hmm... not trying to talk you out of anything just making noting a whimsical 2:am (local) thought...

If people breed discus that don't raise their own fry, then won't we eventually end up with large populations of discus that can no longer care for their young?

I hope not, because I think watching cichlids take care of their offspring is the most interesting part of keeping cichlids. Eric

IMO those discus that exhibit poor parenting traits can more likely be attributed to environment rather than genetics. I have no proof but I suspect that wild discus that breed fine in nature would probably be problematic in a aquarium. In this case, it would be the environment that changed and not some mutation of an allele that controls parenting skills and could be passed on to future offspring. Domestic discus are the same I would guess. Most of the time bad parenting is due to the discus being uncomfortable for some reason. LMO