PDA

View Full Version : how are all the chi-town discus keepers doing?

3dees
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
like the snow was'nt enough, winds of up to 70mph all night. homes accross the street lost thier power but thankfully not our side. hope everyone's ok.

dbfzurowski
02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
oh man, fighting the snow outside

daveo
02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Hey 3d,

Funny you should ask I am sitting here in my app. trying to bring my self down.
Work was cancelled today so I headed out to my mothers place to dig her out.
I got stuck a half block from her home in my 4x4.. hung up on the frame. :(

Two snow plows came one from eather dir. Boxed me in even worse and said good luck,
and left my there.

So I had to walk over to my mothers and get the shovel and snow-blower
and preceded to dig my stupid *** out.

Then the work started 4 foot drifts at her place. All good now. Fun Fun
O electric never goes out here mayor lives down the street. :) Chicagoland suburb

Daveo

William Palumbo
02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Doing all right here as well. Winds and lightning had me worried about the power going out last night...but so far, so good!...Bill

moik
02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I can really feel for you guys..Mother Nautre is a real ***** anymore,but she will always win..Be safe and take care..

Nismo
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
just got done with my water change. Now I'm going to have to do some real work clearing my driveway. Not fun.

ockyra215
02-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Well El NINO lol the earth is a changing boys and girls...... We had more snow here in the last couple years it drives you nuts dig out from one another one starts or it ice rains then thaws a little then freezes up at night come on spring !!

3dees
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
and if was'nt enough, below zero temps for tonight. lord how I hate winter.

dbfzurowski
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
the snowblower just said "NO!"

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/Mis/IMG_0448.jpg

20"my *** . I had 3 feet on my driveway

Johny_Dough
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
damn... I just thinking I miss snow. All this sunny and 70 in SoCal is so monotonous :-)

William Palumbo
02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Damn Dominik, that's how my street looks! Had to push back my CBW order 2 times with Dan. Maybe I can get them by Monday! Funny where they get their totals from...Bill

Bill63SG
02-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Damn Dominik, that's how my street looks! Had to push back my CBW order 2 times with Dan. Maybe I can get them by Monday! Funny where they get their totals from...Bill

I was going to p.m. you about the worms to say I dont think I'm making to your house Thursday.lol.Anyway I'd have to move someone's lawn furniture to park,and I like my tires to much.

dbfzurowski
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Well I got Kenny's shipment coming to Fedex office in skokie tomorrow, hope all goes well.

William Palumbo
02-03-2011, 01:03 AM
LOL...Bill...You know all about that ritual here huh? Find some nice pieces at times!...Seriously, no one has even dug out yet. A car has not been moved or down my street yet. CBW's should be here on Tuesday...Bill

Bill63SG
02-03-2011, 04:28 AM
LOL...Bill...You know all about that ritual here huh? Find some nice pieces at times!...Seriously, no one has even dug out yet. A car has not been moved or down my street yet. CBW's should be here on Tuesday...Bill

Know about it,dude,I grew up there for 35 years.Put many a three legged chair in to a newly shoveled space.

William Palumbo
02-03-2011, 12:14 PM
LOL...Man you'd be surprised at some of the "stuff" they put out there to save a space!...Bill

DiscusLoverJeff
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
My driveway (about 6 car lengths) took 4 hours to clean partially. My snowblower looked up at all that snow and said "I dont think so." My wife looked out the window and said "good luck with that."

So it was a free snowday at work, did not have to use any of my 6 weeks vacation!!!

Stay warm and more importantly, keep them discus warm!

Dave B
02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
We had some fun here on the north side. I too worried about power outages and am glad I didn't get to experience one. We ended up spending all day clearing out the alley to make a nice path out, then we set up a fire pit and drank in the alley. It was very homeless of us. :)

I'm from upstate NY where 20.2 inches is nothing, but snow removal in a small town is easy. In the city with cars on the street it's a real adventure. There's enough salt that most side streets are passable, but there are 3-4 foot banks burying a lot of cars in the street still.

I got lots of exercise in the past few days. Today I don't think I have moved at all. Just sitting on my *** with a blanket around me listening to music and surfing the web. Haven't worked that hard in a while.

Here are some pictures, mostly of my dogs romping around in the snow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50978333@N03/sets/72157625844827303/detail/

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/5413647869_82b1c8e2f5_z.jpg

fishorama
02-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Aw, cute dogs! We had to dig some "exercise" areas a few times even when in Delaware. I've got ice dams in all my gutters & 3 leaks, new roof last Nov. I'm hoping we do move to Calif, I'm sick of this s@#t this year! At least we don't have street parking here in the Boston burbs, I wouldn't have found my car, 3+ feet in the yard, let alone where we shovel. Good news though, I've lost 2 lbs (BFD). I usually don't mind snow but really!

twocat
02-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I live in Bloomington and started shoveling at 5 am. I shoveled for three hours, with breaks Ten min before I had to be at work I received the call that the office was closed. The dayafter we returned to work all of us found out that the day of the storm when the snow and wind was real bad the office closed at 3:40 pm. Information flows sloiw when you work for the state.

Bill63SG
02-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Well,with a couple days of thaw,with a possible high of 50 and rain at the end of the week,I am SO glad we have two large breed dogs.Melt snow melt.

TURQ64
02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Here on the prairie, it's above freezing for the first time since Thanksgiving..I went outside and shovelled sat and sun., and made a hole in the snowpack(60 inches of hard pack), and now I can try to bury our family dog of 12 years that died on the last of January..Made an oak fire yesterday, to break the frost, now I'm digging...I'm muddy, but down 10 inches so far. I'll get deep enough for the coffin today....And on an upnote, I'm finally getting a fish order in after the deep freeze!..Never been a 'red' fan, but all the talk here on SD lately drove me to order a handful of rose red's from Kenny....

William Palumbo
02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey Turq...again sorry about your dog. Take it easy with that shoveling or there will be two coffins buried in that cold ground. No joke. Quite a few deaths here related to that. Glad to hear you're getting warmer temps and new fish. Trust me, you'll like those RR's. They will remind you of the old school Browns, just so much more red!...deep red...and ROUND...Bill

TURQ64
02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Hey Turq...again sorry about your dog. Take it easy with that shoveling or there will be two coffins buried in that cold ground. No joke. Quite a few deaths here related to that. Glad to hear you're getting warmer temps and new fish. Trust me, you'll like those RR's. They will remind you of the old school Browns, just so much more red!...deep red...and ROUND...Bill
cool beans, mate!..Yeah, the shovelling's a bearcat!..29 major surgeries since my forced retirement in 2002 doesn't help any, either!..Thanks for the thoughts, Bill...