PDA

View Full Version : eggs take about 36 hours before they turn white

springer
02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
The eggs my discus have laid this is their fouth batch take about 36 hours before they turn white but only about 1/2 turn white. The rest will be a grayish colour and go way beyond their hatch time and then the parents will eat them. My experience has been if they will turn white they do it in the first 12 hours. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The temp is 81 ph is 7 and the tds is 30. Thank you.

springer
02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Since posting this thread my discus have spawned again. This time on the bottem glass in my bare bottem tank. And yes the same thing again a few eggs turned white and the rest went the distance but did not hatch. Both parents took turns caring for the eggs, the male is a proven male. Any suggestions to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

William Palumbo
02-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Not sure why they are not hatching. Your TDS should be fine. I try to keep my TDS between 50-60TDS...40 and 80 TDS being my cut-offs. I keep my temp. about 84. The problem may be with the male. Is he making runs with her? Is he fertile?...Bill

jaykne
02-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Sounds like what Bill is saying, the male is not making runs or he is not fertile. What are you feeding them they should be on a good diet for male to be good and fertile, also a temp of 81 is to low IMO, I never keep any of my discus under 82. Larry

wendy9722
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Turn off the filtration when they are spawning.

mmorris
02-07-2011, 09:33 AM
the male is a proven male. .

Do you know that for a fact or is this what someone told you?

springer
02-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you all for the advice. Yes I know the male is a proven male as I have raised fry from him with another female. I also have turned down my filteration when they have been laying eggs. My temp may be a little low as I raised it up to 84-85. I see they have laid eggs again and this is going into the 12 hour. There are about 8 that are white the rest look fine. I have lowerd the ph to 6.8 and my tds is 20. I can take the tds right down to 5 but this is probably to low. They are been fed blood worms, beef heart, white worms as well as a good flake food. Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks again.