PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Juvenile Discus with Eye Problem!!!!

allgav
02-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Ok, so I purchased five juvenile Penang Eruption Discus last Saturday...absolutely love them!!! I placed them in my 20 gallon cycled tank when we got home. We've had cold weather here in Mount Vernon, TX, so I borrowed some electric oil heaters from my parents yesterday. I plugged them in each bedroom while I carried out my housecleaning routine. After about 45 minutes, my children came and told me that my babies in the 20 gallon looked dead! I dashed into the dining room where the 20 gallon resides, and they were all laying at the bottom of the tank...the filter was not running, nor the sponge filter, bubbler, or heater...turns out I blew the dining room breaker when I plugged the oil heater in my son's room!:(! I immediately netted out each fish and dashed for my functioning 80 gallon in the living room which houses my five larger Discus- 1 red turquoise, 2 blue turqoise, and 2 marlboro reds, and added each of the five in there just to confim if they were dead or gonna live! Sadly to say only two of my five survived:(:(:(! I cried!!!!! After removing the dead and doing a water change, I noticed that one of the survivors has an issue with it's left eye--it appears that the eye sack is busted. The pupil is smaller than this one. I need some guidance, please! If I can, how can I rectify this? I added some aquarium salt to the tank yesterday, and the survivors are doing much better--they are swimming normally and have healthy appetites. Will it's eye sack ever grow back? It looks like there is a small sack covering it's small pupil. How can I save my baby's eye? Please let me know....thank everyone!

William Palumbo
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your fish. I find it odd that they went so downhill, so fast with no power, for just that short amount of time. Anyway, if the actual eye is damaged, there is not much you can do about it. It will never grow back normal. Just some clean, warm water to keep everyone healthy and happy...Bill

allgav
02-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Well, it may have been longer than that as I had busied myself cleaning. My house has been extremely cold lately, and since we recently ran out of propane which fuels our central heating system, we've been attempting to squeeze by using electric heaters. When the breaker tripped, I had no idea because the dining room light was turned off and the 20 gallon is so quiet....there's actually no telling how long the power to the aquarium had been off. At least two of them survived, even though one has a defective eye. So will the fish be blind in that eye? And if I were to ever consider breeding that fish, would it be adviseable not to?

William Palumbo
02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
That's one cold house!...He/she may be blind in that eye, but that will not keep him/her from breeding. Since it was an environmental issue, his bad eye can not be passed on to the offspring. The eye will probably bother you more than him/her...Bill