PDA

View Full Version : Can I do a fishless cycle with just a sponge filter and then add a canister

lizziotti
02-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi I've had a 2217 eheim filter on back order for over a month now when I bought it they said it was in stock very frustrating. so I have been putting off cycling it. Its so hard waiting knowing ill have more waiting for it to cycle then. so I'm wondering If i can go ahead and start with just my hydro sponge filter it's for a125 gallon I have a 80 gallon tank. Or will it mess up the cycle when I add the canister if it ever comes!
Thanks so much for your help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

ericatdallas
02-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi I've had a 2217 eheim filter on back order for over a month now when I bought it they said it was in stock very frustrating. so I have been putting off cycling it. Its so hard waiting knowing ill have more waiting for it to cycle then. so I'm wondering If i can go ahead and start with just my hydro sponge filter it's for a125 gallon I have a 80 gallon tank. Or will it mess up the cycle when I add the canister if it ever comes!
Thanks so much for your help.

You shouldn't mess up your cycle. A cycle is just the time it takes for your tank to be populated with bacteria. So adding the filter just adds for surface area for the bacteria to grow. Of course, realize that when you add the filter it'll take some time for it to be an effective biological filter but should still provide a mechanical filter. It won't impact the rest of the tank though adversely.

My advice would be to start without the canister and add it as soon as you get it.

scottthomas
02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
+1 just monitor your ammonia nitrite levels

lizziotti
02-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Oh thanks guys I wish I would have asked this sooner can't wait to start!

Keith Perkins
02-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Not sure if you already know where you're getting your discus from, but if you do you could see if you could buy a cycled sponge filter from them and set up your tank.

lizziotti
02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
That's a great idea thanks!

Keith Perkins
02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
You're welcome, but I can't take too much credit. It's one of the good things Martha (MMORRIS) taught me that apparently stuck.

discuspaul
02-11-2011, 01:12 AM
You're welcome, but I can't take too much credit. It's one of the good things Martha (MMORRIS) taught me that apparently stuck.

LOL Keith, Martha also taught me some good things that will stick with me forever.
Sorry lizziotti, didn't mean to sidetrack your thread.

Keith Perkins
02-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Hey, you might as well teach the kid who's word is gospel around here. :)