PDA

View Full Version : Glass vs Acrylic?

moon_knight1971
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Looking at getting another tank and was wondering what the concensus was on which one is better, glass or acrylic? I know glass is cheaper but fear they will ultimately leak and acrylic is expensive and can warp slightly.

Arjunpun
02-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I wud so glass for ddiscus. Doesn't scratch easily but acrylic is lighter.

moon_knight1971
02-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Has there ever been a study on how long glass aquariums stay sealed? I see alot of glass tanks on craigslist at super cheap prices but always worry about them leaking

Darrell Ward
02-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Unless I wanted a tank over 300 gals., (because of the weight) I would go with glass. As long as the glass is not cracked or chipped, a glass tank can last forever. Who cares if a used tank leaks? You can make it as good as new with a razor blade, and a tube of silicone.

moon_knight1971
02-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Good point. Resealing is always an option. Do you know if they sell silicone that sets with water already in the tank? I'm pressed for space and if I get a used glass tank that starts to leak over time, is there a silicone that I can apply to the area that's leaking that sets quickly?

nc0gnet0
02-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Personally I prefer acryllic, no silicone that stains, lighter, and clearer. And yes, it does scratch, but that can be buffed out, and it nevr needs to be resealed.

hedut
02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
well I think all those depend which floor you leave :) and glass always better but I leave at 3 floor so couldn't have much glass tank :( but acrylic will help the weight :)

mkv
02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Acrylic is the way to go on big tanks.... They do require different materials to clean it as it will scratch easy.... The advantages over glass are: Lighter weight, does not absorbs room temperature like glass do, no silicone edges to leak with time, can be drilled if you need it, gives you more flexibilty in shape choices. I have both at home and the acrylic has proved to be a better choice for me.... Just MO

Second Hand Pat
02-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Acrylic is the way to go on big tanks.... They do require different materials to clean it as it will scratch easy.... The advantages over glass are: Lighter weight, does not absorbs room temperature like glass do, no silicone edges to leak with time, can be drilled if you need it, gives you more flexibilty in shape choices. I have both at home and the acrylic has proved to be a better choice for me.... Just MO

...and two people can left and move that large tank. My favorite tank was a 180 acrylic I left in my old house. It was built into the wall and could not take it with me. Now I am looking for another one.

mmorris
02-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I had a 125 gallon acrylic that I bought used. They are supposed to be clearer than glass but mine was a bit foggy. I have heard since that acrylic can fog up with age. I finally sold it and bought glass.

TURQ64
02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Long term, it goes sort of like this..Yes, with age, acrylic fogs, scratches, and once in a blue moon,leaks..Glass sometimes scratches, sometimes needs re-sealing, sometimes doesn't..The long haul takes it's toll on all aquariums..