PDA

View Full Version : Want to start off with wild fish.

Whozit
02-06-2011, 12:46 AM
I need advice on a procedure to treat newly acquired wild discus.

Does one wait to see if anything develops?

Or does one start a regimen right away?

If so, what treatments do you suggest and for how long.

Thank you,
Francine

Eddie
02-06-2011, 12:49 AM
I need advice on a procedure to treat newly acquired wild discus.

Does one wait to see if anything develops?

Or does one start a regimen right away?

If so, what treatments do you suggest and for how long.

Thank you,
Francine

Depends on the source. Are they directly from the exporter?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Whozit
02-06-2011, 01:01 AM
The fish will be coming from an importer. Some send the fish out as soon as they come in and some don't. I don't want to take a chance on the latter.

Eddie
02-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Are you familiar/comfortable with using medications/chemicals?

Whozit
02-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Yes I am

Eddie
02-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Yes I am

Then this is a personal preference. I'd clean them of externals and internals. PP 4 hour bath, then you can either use baths for internals or feed. It really depends on whether or not the fish are eating. I'd run a course of levamisole, followed by a treatment of metro and prazi. Then, follow up in 3 weeks with another levamisole treatment. Viola

That's just my thoughts. ;)

Ryan
02-06-2011, 03:38 AM
I usually treat all wild cichlids just in case. Per Al's suggestions, I use formalin for the externals. Al doses per the directions on the bottle and does a treatment every other day for 5 or 6 treatments. On the in-between days I do a large water change.

Then I usually let them rest a few days and do one round of prazi just to see if I get any tapeworms. I have yet to see one tapeworm in all the wild cichlids I've treated!

Let them rest again for a few days, then finish up with levamisole. I use the Levasole boluses sold as sheep dewormer, but unfortunately that's off the market now. I have one bottle left but I'm not sure what will happen after that's gone. :( I treat them with 1 bolus per 20 gallons. It dissolves easily but it leaves yellow powder on EVERYTHING, so it's best to do this in a bare bottom QT tank. I leave it in 24 hours, then do a giant water change. You can re-dose this again a week or two later. I usually only do two treatments a week apart.

Whozit
02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Ah! Thanks. Will a pig dewormer work as well?

Should I apply a UV unit during treatment and after?

Francine

yogi
02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Do not keep a UV light on while treating with medication, also no carbon in the filters during treatment.

Whozit
02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice. I'll keep you posted when things start happening.

ericatdallas
02-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Ah! Thanks. Will a pig dewormer work as well?

Should I apply a UV unit during treatment and after?

Francine

You can buy levamisole HCL as a pig dewormer. I think you buy them in like 50g packages for about $20-30. I think that's where a lot of aquarists get them. I recently purchased a solution of piperazine that's made for pigs. Just make sure you use the recommended dosages.

I have a question regarding Levamisole. I've never used it but the recommeneded dosage I've read is anywhere from 100mg per 10G, 250mg per 10G and even 500mg per 10G. What do people here typically use?

William Palumbo
02-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I use the Levamisole from David @ IGOPro at 1 tsp=40g...Bill