PDA

View Full Version : feeding adult discus

twocat
02-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I purchased two adult discus about a week ago. For the first 5 days I do not think they had anything to eat. I know they have started eating now because I am seeing some poop in the tank. They do not appear to have much of a appetite. I am trying to feed them a variety of food about 4 x a day. My smaller 2" discus, in another tank are always starving but these guys just sit in the corner and will occasionally swim from one end of the 40 gal to the other. I have one quarter size angel in the tank with them. Should I be worried?

ericatdallas
02-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I purchased two adult discus about a week ago. For the first 5 days I do not think they had anything to eat. I know they have started eating now because I am seeing some poop in the tank. They do not appear to have much of a appetite. I am trying to feed them a variety of food about 4 x a day. My smaller 2" discus, in another tank are always starving but these guys just sit in the corner and will occasionally swim from one end of the 40 gal to the other. I have one quarter size angel in the tank with them. Should I be worried?

What are you feeding them? Try something good like bloodworms, mysis shrimp, or whatever to get their appetite going again. I think this is pretty normal (new environment, new water parameters, etc).

Also ask the breeder/store/whatever what they feed and that might help. Something familiar in all the bizarreness.

My fish are pigs when it comes to beefheart but won't touch flake food. Drives me nuts because that's all they used to eat when I first got them.

twocat
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
The guy I bought them from said he was feeding them beef heart and tetra color bits, I am feeding them this along with blood worms and Kens earthworm and brine shrimp flakes,

Eddie
02-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Adults dont feed like juvies. You can feed them once to twice a day.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

moon_knight1971
02-06-2011, 08:05 PM
What temp is your tank at? should be mid 80's