PDA

View Full Version : eurythromycin not working...

morillonj
02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
dosed the last of it today and so far it has not worked(did all 4 doses), if i do a water change can i start using furan-2.

Eddie
02-06-2011, 07:35 PM
dosed the last of it today and so far it has not worked(did all 4 doses), if i do a water change can i start using furan-2.

Erythromycin has a very narrow spectrum and is mainly used in dealing with gram positive bacteria. GP bacteria is not very common in home aquariums.

What is going on with your fish? Fill out the disease questionnaire please.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

morillonj
02-06-2011, 07:50 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
started about 4-5 days ago, fish were doing fine and then all of a sudden the slime coat either is producing to much or is peeling off. they have turned dark but have no cloudy eyes and fins are not clamped. they hide a lot and slime coat and darkening is getting worse. the wierd thing is that they will still eat(not as ferocious as before) but they still eat. and today if found one lying of its side and then got up and swam away. these are from kennys latest shipment. He stated for me to start furan-2. Now i have other discus and they are not effected, i use the same aged tap water for my "houston" discus and these new ones. never had a problem with my discus other then they want to breed all the time. lol. i dont think its nothing serious yet because they still have some sort of appetite, just that i probably need to knock out some sort of discus flu they have. Also forgot to mention that houston had rolling blackouts and my lights were off when i was at work. came home and temp was 70 degrees.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

fish have excess slime coat, reduced appetite, and what seem to be blisters on face.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
eurythromycin(full 4 doses), water change and aquarium salt.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

65 gallon tall tank, discus of all sizes from 4-6.5 inches, only 5 discus.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
water change 3-4 times a week and remove 25% of water. tank has been up for a year. yes i use aged tap water with prime.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 84-86

- ph 6.5

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

- well water

- municipal water

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
no

Eddie
02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Whether they eat or not isn't usually an indicator how serious the problem is. If you have fish lying on their sides and shedding slimecoat, then that is something you need to deal with quickly or bacteria will get the best of them.

I'd give them a 4 PP bath followed by an antibiotic such as Furan-2. Do you know how to use PP?

morillonj
02-06-2011, 08:01 PM
ive never used pp. out of all my time with discus i have been fortunate/blessed to have healthy discus that never gotten sick. so meds were never an option. could you explain how to use pp?

Eddie
02-06-2011, 09:09 PM
It can be tricky, better described over the phone. Kenny can help you if you give him a call.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70066-Using-Potassium-Permanganate-aka-PP

If you cannot get through to him, then the other option would be Formalin. You can get Formalin 3 pretty readily. You will want to go with the higher dose of 2 tsp/10 gallons.

Eddie

LizStreithorst
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I like to go with the PP treatment first myself. But in this case it sounds bacterial rather than parasitic. I agree with Kenny. You shoud start the Furan2 asap.