PDA

View Full Version : Too much Hanky Panky--Help...

BillyinNYC
02-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Admittedly, this is a strange question to ask--especially in this topic group--but is there anything I can do to discourage spawning? Short of separating the pair, what else might work? My Turk and Cobalt have spawned for the fourth time in a month and a half--each time raisng the fry just up until the fry become free swimming and then they eat them. (Each batch gets larger in number every time too.)

I'm afraid they will exhaust themselves (and the other discus in the tank) with their protective vigilance, and I cant bear to see the babies gobbled up. Will they keep on doing this until they get it perfect?

Thoughts?

Keith Perkins
02-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Separating them is about all you can do, though you don't have to move one of them out of the tank it that's what you were thinking. You can divided them from each other in the same tank, using what is commonly referred to here as egg crate. Egg crate is the 1/2" square fluorescent light diffusers you can get at any hardware store.

MostlyDiscus
02-08-2011, 09:41 AM
If they lay there eggs on something you can pull from the tank that might work. Sounds like a young pair. Optimal breeding time for discus. Ed

mmorris
02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Stick a cork in it. :)

DerekFF
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
i dont know from personal experience, but ive read from many people that their pairs lay like savages for months and months and then stop and dont lay again for months and months. Theyre gonna need a break sometime

BillyinNYC
02-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Thought I'd add some pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59336619@N04/show/with/5432309473/