PDA

View Full Version : What is the real truth about discus breeding?

ChefChino
02-11-2011, 03:40 AM
I say what is the real truth about discus breeding but what I really mean is what is the acceptable truth to discus breeding. I've read so much on this forum and I'm learning everyday. I'm very new to discus keeping but I thought I was sure that my water parameters weren't "perfect" for breeding. To start off, I thought discus themselves would not tolerate high ph and hard water (high GH/Kh). I live in Houston TX and we have absolutely the worse water you can have in the USA. It comes out of the tap at about 7.5-8.5 with TDS reading at about 240ppm. I do regular wc with straight tap no aging about 50% twice a week but I also have a small bioload. I was certain from everything that I have read that even if the domestic discus can lay eggs in this environment they would not survive to the wiggler stage. Surprise! I have wigglers. I don't know yet how much further they will make it in a community tank but I'm thinking that the have a will to survive. With the all the great advice from this forum, I think we have left out one very important variable and that is the will to survive and procreate even under adverse conditions. I love my discus and I hope we can note that discus are pretty tough fish when they want to be or they can be as fickle as they want to be.

Chef

William Palumbo
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
As you're finding out chef, there really are no "truths" or rules to keeping/breeding Discus. There are guidlines, and references as starting points. I tend to break or at least bend a lot of the "rules". From temp. to WC's, there is never a cut and dry answer. Many different ways to get the same results. As for breeding, a lot has to be said for a fertile pair...the male mostly. I have a few males that I always said could fertilize gravel!...other pairs, everything has to be just right. So if you have a very fertile male, who works as one with the female during the spawning process, running over the eggs the second they are laid...you will have some sort of hatchrate in less than perfect, or non-Discus water. Would no doubt be a much better hatchrate in RO mix...Bill

DiscusOnly
02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
The TRUTH in discus breeding is one's ability to be patience.

pcsb23
02-11-2011, 11:41 AM
The TRUTH in discus breeding is one's ability to be patience.+1
and to cull ruthlessly when necessary to ensure quality

stanlee
02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
million dollar question:)

nc0gnet0
02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
we have absolutely the worse water you can have in the USA. It comes out of the tap at about 7.5-8.5 with TDS reading at about 240ppm.

Bah, my tap is nearer to 450 TDS, Ph 8.2-8.4. ;)

Part of the issue of using TDS (total dissolved solids) as a guideline is one needs to know exactly which solids make up that number. It could be calcium, magnesium, phosphates, iron, etc. In other words two people with identical TDS readings may have entirely different water chemistry.

LizStreithorst
02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
My old friend Cary told me way back when I was new that is was WHICH minerals were in the water that mattered, not the total amount of minerals. Going by the numbers, I should be able to breed in straight tap, but I cant. I need RO.

Congratulations!

kaceyo
02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Agree 100%. The first thing anyone considering discus should do is send for a report from their local Water Company on their tap water.

Rod
02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
+1
and to cull ruthlessly when necessary to ensure quality

+1.

I would say the ability to cull properly is the most difficult to learn in breeding discus, or any fish for that matter. It is what seperates the pro's from the amatuers.

mikel
02-11-2011, 06:20 PM
So....not to hijack the thread, but continuing with the thought about culling... What are the basic standards for culling? At what time intervals, and using what standard? Or is this a secret among more professional breeders? I am going to attempt my first major cull this sunday, and I am not looking forward to it at all. mike

William Palumbo
02-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Not really sure where the culling part came from. Tho I agree 100% with what is said about it, I do not think it had anything to do with the OP's question...or I just missed something...Bill

DiscusOnly
02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Not really sure where the culling part came from. Tho I agree 100% with what is said about it, I do not think it had anything to do with the OP's question...or I just missed something...Bill

Not sure either but it's a good reminder for all breeders (doing as a hobby or as a business) to think about the hobby and not just the money. There are enough crappy discus out there.

MostlyDiscus
02-11-2011, 09:19 PM
the first cull is easy. sliders, deformed and 3 eyes

William Palumbo
02-11-2011, 09:56 PM
LOL...3 eyes would sell, trust me. Especially if on a Bulldog!...Bill

Eddie
02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
My old friend Cary told me way back when I was new that is was WHICH minerals were in the water that mattered, not the total amount of minerals. Going by the numbers, I should be able to breed in straight tap, but I cant. I need RO.

Congratulations!

100% true

stanlee
02-12-2011, 12:30 PM
lol, thought the commercial breeders only sell the fishes under the cull category and sell the pretty ones :)