PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think one of my discus has Ick

Faydra
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Hello everyone!

I have an adult discus in my 85 gallon tank with four other discus. He has always been chased and picked on but my tank is large enough that he was able to hide until they lost interest. About two weeks ago I noticed that he wasn't going for the food very much and about a week ago I noticed that he had stopped eating altogether and was quite dark. I tested my water for ammo, nitrate, and nitrites which was fine. When he hadn't improved and was still being chased yesterday I decided to move him to my 29 gallon QT tank. He was passing white poo so I treated with Metro. Then I looked today after work and he has several white granules on him, which looks to me like Ich.

I have never in my six years of fish keeping had a case of Ich so I am not totally sure what to do. The temperature of the tank is sitting at about 86. I removed the carbon and dig around in my fish medicine cabinet and found an unopened bottle of Quick Cure so I dosed with that.

Is there anything else I can do????

Faydra

Eddie
02-11-2011, 10:54 PM
If you already dosed with QC, you need to drop the temp in the tank. 82F is about as high as I'd go while treating with formalin products. Also make sure you have good air in the tank and the lights are out.

Faydra
02-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks Eddie!

I added an airstone, turned my heater down and shut off the lights. I guess all I can do know is wait?.....

Eddie
02-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks Eddie!

I added an airstone, turned my heater down and shut off the lights. I guess all I can do know is wait?.....

Yup, medications/treatments take time.

Faydra
02-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Just curious: Can I run a sponge filter while medicating with QC??

Eddie
02-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Just curious: Can I run a sponge filter while medicating with QC??

Yes, you can. Watch ammonia/nitrite levels just in case it does impact the bio bed. Generally it will not but it can.

YSS
02-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Have you added any new fish or plants in the tank? If you haven't, it's unlikely that you have ich.