PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining additional fish

Offpath
02-12-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm working on a planted display tank to house the discus I currently have in a grow-out tank, and I'm looking at getting a few bristlenose plecos and maybe some corys/loaches/other bottom feeders. Given that I care a *ton* more about my discus than I do about any of these fish, what quarantine procedures should I use for them? I'm thinking minimum 4 weeks, treating for gill flukes and worms. Does that sound reasonable? What medications should I use?

Eddie
02-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Its a personal preference to treat additional fish. Some people just wait it out but I don't take any chances. Healthy looking fish can be WELL diseased and take out all your fish. Flukes in general would just be an irritation to the discus but other bugs can be very harmful. I do suggest a clean up treatment for internal and external issues. Plecos, corys and loaches are scaleless fish so they are very sensitive to external medications. Quick Cure at half the recommended dose would be good. And for internal, levamisole and Praziquantel.

nc0gnet0
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
You have to be carefull with the pleco's, they don't tolerate most fluke meds well. I have also lost a couple when using levansole. Prazi, while far from ideal, doesn't seem to faze them a bit. For internal issues I would rather see you go with some medicated flakes from angel's plus, plecos are far from picky eaters and they will accept them well. I really don't have a clue about the loaches and cory's.

Offpath
02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
You have to be carefull with the pleco's, they don't tolerate most fluke meds well. I have also lost a couple when using levansole. Prazi, while far from ideal, doesn't seem to faze them a bit. For internal issues I would rather see you go with some medicated flakes from angel's plus, plecos are far from picky eaters and they will accept them well. I really don't have a clue about the loaches and cory's.

Glad to hear that plecos do accept angel plus medicated flakes, as I have a bag of them already!

And I realize that scaleless fish don't tolerate a lot of meds well, but my discus absolutely take priority. While not ideal, I'm willing to consider any non-discus losses as a necessary evil. =(

Offpath
02-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Ok, so if I go with fenbendazol flakes, praziquantel (is prazi pro a good product here?), and quick cure, should this pretty much cover everything? And I'm assuming I don't want to dose all of these at once, so is there a particular order I should do them in?

Eddie
02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Thats fine, just do this over a course of 6 weeks, not back to back. I'd knock out the quick cure first because if you are going to have any die from treatment, it will be from the QC.

fishorama
02-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I've used malachite green with loaches. I add half a dose then wait ~12 hours & add the rest, same idea after water changes, lots of aeration, light out. I've also used angelplus medicated flakes with them in QT "just in case", no adverse reactions.

PAR23
02-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know if the product Ich-X by US Koi is interchangeable with Quick Cure. Ich-X active ingredients are formaldehyde, methanol and malachite green?

Eddie
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know if the product Ich-X by US Koi is interchangeable with Quick Cure. Ich-X active ingredients are formaldehyde, methanol and malachite green?

I'm sure it is, same as Rid-Ich or other F&MG combos. Just make sure you know how much of each component is in each dose.

PAR23
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm sure it is, same as Rid-Ich or other F&MG combos. Just make sure you know how much of each component is in each dose.

Cool man. Thanks