PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Death

Jhhnn
02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Weirdness. I fed the fish about 3:00PM, they were all fine. Went out to deal with new cell phones, which took awhile. When I got home, one of my RSxAF was quite dead, straight out of the blue. Didn't appear to have any injuries at all.

The only upside was that I didn't have to subject any of the live fish to being netted to measure them- 7" TL.

Sigh. These fish have never been sick since they came from Kenny in June of 2009- no meds, ever, no nothing- just fat, dumb & happy...

Jennie
02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
hmmm I'm sure water was tested?? bloated looking??

Eddie
02-12-2011, 09:46 PM
I had the same thing happen the other day Jhhnn. All fish were happy and eating. Came back to find one floating at the top. Sudden discus death syndrome. Thinking organ failure, very strange.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jhhnn
02-12-2011, 10:11 PM
hmmm I'm sure water was tested?? bloated looking??

The water's fine, and the other 7 in that tank are just as they were when I left home. No bloating, nada.

I had the same thing happen the other day Jhhnn. All fish were happy and eating. Came back to find one floating at the top. Sudden discus death syndrome. Thinking organ failure, very strange.

Yeh- I'm just kinda scratchin' my head, hoping it's just an isolated misfortune...

Disgirl
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Do discus ever take a mad dash for whatever reason and bang their heads, resulting in almost instant death? Could be an explanation for sudden death?
Barb

Eddie
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it really sucked. It was favorite red snake. :(

Eddie
02-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Do discus ever take a mad dash for whatever reason and bang their heads, resulting in almost instant death? Could be an explanation for sudden death?
Barb

They may get nerve damage but I didn't hear any dashing or splashing.

TURQ64
02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Same thing with two fish this weekend...Warmer weather, more human traffic in and out the door nearby, startled into smashing into something was my best guess...All others are fine...bummer....They were young, but nice...