PDA

View Full Version : lighting

Bud
02-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Heres my deal,75gal,5-6 discus,I have a couple commercial compac floresents and a few 400watt metal halides.ive read that they dont like bright light but i want them to brightly color up,the tank will be lined with white styrofoam
thanx,Bud

Vern Archer
02-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Bud, if I can offer an opinion, you are correct Discus do not like extremly bright light in fact some strains like the Albino Discuss you could possibly blind them with that much light especially when wrapping the tank in white.. They are social creatures and like to see out into the room and see their keeper with that much light this will not be possible. (Its like looking out the window at night you can't see anything until you lower the lights in the house in this case the aquarium). If the fish are healthy and comfortable in their environment they will show their best colours. v

Bud
02-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Bud, if I can offer an opinion, you are correct Discus do not like extremly bright light in fact some strains like the Albino Discuss you could possibly blind them with that much light especially when wrapping the tank in white.. They are social creatures and like to see out into the room and see their keeper with that much light this will not be possible. (Its like looking out the window at night you can't see anything until you lower the lights in the house in this case the aquarium). If the fish are healthy and comfortable in their environment they will show their best colours. v

thanx vern i just read lotsa folk settin up like 1.5-2.0 watts per gal. so good ill stick with my compact @ alittle over 1 watt per gal, right?

Eddie
02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
thanx vern i just read lotsa folk settin up like 1.5-2.0 watts per gal. so good ill stick with my compact @ alittle over 1 watt per gal, right?

Thats fine.