PDA

View Full Version : PPM water question

tripp
02-14-2011, 01:25 AM
I have a ppm meter to check the water the water coming out of the tap in the kitchen is 280 ppm however in the bathroom its about 500 ppm an sometimes a little rust comes out of that tap i do water changes in the bathroom tap for my new tank an fish from kenny i just reseaved. ive had them for 2 weeks an there doing great however im worried about longterm effects with the rust that comes out it is only a small amount should i be concerned

dbfzurowski
02-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Rust is everywhere, I dont even think about it

aalbina
02-14-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm no expert - but I do know that if heavy metals are leaching into your water from your pipes - you might need to have it analyzed at a lab to find out exactly what it is. If it's iron - then you want to know how much iron, if it's copper then you want to know how much copper. Both can kill your fish over time. I've done pretty extensive research on iron and copper effects. Lethal Concentration for 50% mortality rate (LC50) is pretty high for iron but no very high for copper. If I had that much disparity in TDS from one tap to the next - I would definitely pay the $50 to have the water tested for heavy metal content. Rust color can come from iron or manganese. Even a _little_ copper can effect sensory function in marine animals.

Adam

vera
02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
try to pass water through foam filter prior entering yr tank

Chad Hughes
02-14-2011, 10:54 AM
It sounds like you have a point of use problem. Sounds like the faucet may be going bad?

Can you tell us if the pipes to that faucet are copper? If so, replace the faucet. You should be fine. :D

Best wishes!

tripp
02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
the hole house is copper except for that bathroom its old gal pipe i never repiped the back bathroom i guess i can always get a longer new hose and do all my water changes from the kitchen sink however what about 200ppm difference from on e sink to the other is that a problem thanks

Chad Hughes
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, that plumbing is your issue. I agree with you about using a different source. The PPM difference that you are seeing is likely the pipes. You've got rust, heavy metals, etc. leeching in to your tap at that source. I would avoid using the source that has the higher PPM TDS. If you can get that plumbing replace you'll be fine.

Hopefully that answered your question?

TURQ64
02-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I lived all of my working years (35+) in California, and ten or fifteen years of my pre-work recreational life. California water heaters are huge collectors of heavy metals,rust, etc..Like old wall furnaces, the state is generally behind on appliances that are efficient. Particularly in rental units. Anyway, the water heater factor is most likely the difference in the ppm's...I changed out the water heaters in two rentals, even tho' it wasn't my responsibility. In both locations, my fish thrived after the change-out. I'm not tellin' you to change yours, just explaining a source of contaminants...Best of luck, Gary

pekored
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I would obtain some new readings from your bathroom after you have left the water running for awhile. While not an expert, I would think that the metals are leaching into the water when it is sitting stagnant in the pipes/taps. Running the water should give you better results. If you still get worse results than your kitchen you have some 'fast leaching pipes and taps'.

Good luck!
Peter

tripp
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
thanks everone i didnt think about the hot water heater having rust in there an running the tap for awhile does help untill i reslove this ill just get a longer hose an use the kitchen tap just to be safe

Jhhnn
02-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I would obtain some new readings from your bathroom after you have left the water running for awhile. While not an expert, I would think that the metals are leaching into the water when it is sitting stagnant in the pipes/taps. Running the water should give you better results. If you still get worse results than your kitchen you have some 'fast leaching pipes and taps'.

Good luck!
Peter

I'll agree with that. Something that most people don't realize is that scale accumulates in the bottom of many water heaters and will affect water quality and recovery rate. attaching a hose to the drain valve at the bottom and flushing the tank will get rid of much of it. There are ways to do a better job, but they're beyond what most hobbyists will want to do.

dbfzurowski
02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
You care to elaborate on the heater?

mmorris
02-17-2011, 07:27 PM
You don't want to mess with iron. It is deadly at fairly low concentrations. When ferrous, soluble iron hits air, it changes to ferric (insoluble) - rust. It is possible that if you use your bathroom tap less often, the ferric builds up so you can see it. I highly recommend you send a sample of the water to a lab. A lab near me charges $20 for a test and the results come in two to three days. I have been struggling with the problem since buying the house. How are your fish behaving?

James McGuire
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I've been using a 6 stage R/O with the actual R/O cartridge removed. So there's one sediment, two carbon, and two DI,s.
This set up is located in my laundry room and plumbed via 1/4" tubing to my tank.
I just recently plumbed to these filters from my hot water spigot.
Should I be concerned with these metals you're talking about?

TURQ64
02-18-2011, 09:17 AM
The carbon block will get most of 'em, but it's kind of the reason for the membrane in the RO unit..Some heavy metal particulates are tiny......

mmorris
02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
I've been using a 6 stage R/O with the actual R/O cartridge removed. So there's one sediment, two carbon, and two DI,s.
This set up is located in my laundry room and plumbed via 1/4" tubing to my tank.
I just recently plumbed to these filters from my hot water spigot.
Should I be concerned with these metals you're talking about?
Ferric iron can get through a one-micron filter. Ferrous iron will pass through anything. It's simple enough to have your water tested professionally. Are you on well water, by the way?

tripp
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
My discus been in there since feb 1st eat great allready seen growth everthing is good except 200 ppm dif from one tap to the other

wgtaylor
02-18-2011, 08:04 PM
You don't want to mess with iron. It is deadly at fairly low concentrations. When ferrous, soluble iron hits air, it changes to ferric (insoluble) - rust. It is possible that if you use your bathroom tap less often, the ferric builds up so you can see it. I highly recommend you send a sample of the water to a lab. A lab near me charges $20 for a test and the results come in two to three days. I have been struggling with the problem since buying the house. How are your fish behaving?
Hey Martha,
$20 is a great price, do they test for more than just iron for that price?
Thanks
Bill

James McGuire
02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
No I'm on city water. Where can I get my water tested?

James McGuire
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi guys,

I have an update for you:
I'm running a constant drip system. my water besides running through 1 sediment and 2 carbon filters, is also running through 2 de-ionization cartridges that I've just read trap among other things "IRON" in their catalyst.
What I'm going to find out now is how frequently these cartridges need to be replaced.

Thanks for the information.

Pat

mmorris
02-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey Martha,
$20 is a great price, do they test for more than just iron for that price?
Thanks
Bill

Iron and turbidity. It's possible they might test for more for that price - the two are all I need at this point.