PDA

View Full Version : An excellent beginners Guide has been posted...

brewmaster15
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
HI all,
One of our members ,Discuspaul,with the assistance of a few others has put together a really nice guide for beginners... If you have a Moment please give it a read ...I think he really did a nice job on it and I think it will help alot of novices get started...

Thanks for the write up and pics Paul and special thanks to Martha, Pat and Keith.

read it here....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

-al

discuspaul
02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Many thanks, Al, for all your help in getting my little guide going on SD.
I certainly hope it will help the novices out there, both existing and those to follow.
Would be pleased to receive your comments when you have had the opportunity to go through the Guide.
Thanks,
Paul

mmorris
02-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I think Paul's guide will be a valuable asset to the hobby, and I will certainly be referring people to it. I encouraged him to publish it but his goal was to make it freely available to all. Well done Paul!

roclement
02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Outstanding work all! Just read (skimmed) most of it and intend to actually read the whole thing, simple, to the point, and effective! Many a Discus keeper will benefit from this!

Al is there a way that, once you register to the forum, it guides you to that page and you need to check the tab of "read and understood" before finishing registration? Almost like a "terms & conditions" page before being allowed to post per say. There is such a thing in my boxer forum and, while many people just check the box and move on, a lot of people actually read their article. Just an idea...

Rodrigo

zimmjeff
02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
your on a forum about underwear rod ??? lol.

Jennie
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
I just skimmed it as well, and looks informative.. wish it was in print when I started! I read more in depth at first chance

discuspaul
02-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Many thanks for your eye-opening comments, Rodrigo !

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey Paul, really looks professional. Thanks Al for posting it.

dean9922
02-17-2011, 09:10 PM
excellent Discuspaul......this will certainly help a lot of new people getting into this wonderful hobby!!!!!

discuspaul
02-17-2011, 10:26 PM
I think Paul's guide will be a valuable asset to the hobby, and I will certainly be referring people to it. I encouraged him to publish it but his goal was to make it freely available to all. Well done Paul!

Thanks Martha - Couldn't have done it without you !

moon_knight1971
02-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Just read it. Very informative and straight to the point! Thanks Discuspaul!

discuspaul
02-17-2011, 11:07 PM
HI all,
One of our members ,Discuspaul,with the assistance of a few others has put together a really nice guide for beginners... If you have a Moment please give it a read ...I think he really did a nice job on it and I think it will help alot of novices get started...

Thanks for the write up and pics Paul and special thanks to Martha, Pat and Keith.

read it here....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

-al

For those newbies who may not know these members, the user names are:
mmorris (Martha); brewmaster15 (Al); cozykeith (Keith); and Second Hand Pat (Pat)

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks Paul :) but you were the engine behind this guide.

Ardan
02-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Very Well Done!! Looks like a lot of work, very well put together.
Nice Job.

Ardan

Harriett
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
OUTSTANDING job, one and all--this will be a real help to our newbies!
Thanks,
Harriett

wendy9722
02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Outstanding Job!!!Now for the newbie questions just paste that to them. Then most questions should be answered.

discuspaul
02-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Many thanks Wendy. Any thoughts on what kind of thread is needed, and where, so as to facilitate and encourage questions, commentaries, any helpful stuff for newbies, that other experienced members can chime into and give help ?
Not sure what you mean by : "..just paste that to them.."

Second Hand Pat
02-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Paul, could add a FAQs as an addendum.

discuspaul
02-19-2011, 12:23 AM
I like that thought, Pat, but how do we do that with the "closed" thread for the Guide in the 'Discus Basics' panel ? I'm thinking of something easy, available, convenient & readily at hand for newbies to ask their questions, etc. ?

Disgirl
02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Really great writing and pictures. I sure wish I had something like this to use way back when. Would have saved me so much time, worry, money and heartache! WELL DONE!
Barb

discuspaul
02-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Thank you for those comments, Disgirl.
Your last sentence exemplifies exactly what I'm hoping some novice might have to say later on down the road, after having made use of the guide to get started, except substituting the first words, "Would have"....., for "It"..... Forget the 'well done!' part.

discuspaul
02-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Outstanding Job!!!Now for the newbie questions just paste that to them. Then most questions should be answered.

Oh, many thanks, Wendy - Took me a while to get what you were saying about "paste" through my head. I presume you were saying, when newbie questions come in, just paste the guide in as a reply. Super - I never really thought of that !

goodoo
02-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Well done. I wish I had read it 12 months ago. lol. Lucky I am part fish and I worked it out myself. Maybe a bit of help from discus forums.

Second Hand Pat
02-20-2011, 09:52 AM
I like that thought, Pat, but how do we do that with the "closed" thread for the Guide in the 'Discus Basics' panel ? I'm thinking of something easy, available, convenient & readily at hand for newbies to ask their questions, etc. ?

Paul, Perhaps we could solicit the forum (with a new thread) for questions they would like to have had answers too. I'm sure the more experience folks could offer suggestions and the new folks could say, "What about this". Problem is this could be a time consuming endeavorer and should not be taken lightly.

discuspaul
02-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Gotcha - thanks Pat. And you're right, it would no doubt be time consuming - needs a lot of thought.

PhishNFilly
10-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Terrific article many thanks from a newbie! Julia