PDA

View Full Version : 4 discus is it trouble.

vinny molloy
02-18-2011, 06:31 AM
As am a new to discus and only have a 200lt at present i got 4 young discus from a local
breeder nothing special was sold as red turks but was told they have a lot of brown in them.
Am finding the bigger one to be a bit of a bully is this going to be a problem as i only have a small group.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-18-2011, 07:47 AM
There will always be a dominated one in the tank. How long have you had them? They might still be adjusting to things as well. 200L (50 gallons) is a bit on the small side but should be adequate enough for 4 discus. maybe some pictures and someone here could determine what strain you have.

Good Luck!

Eddie
02-18-2011, 07:51 AM
I'd recommend adding 2 more to the group after a strict quarantine. They do well in groups of 6 or more. ;)

James McGuire
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Not just a bully! I have a Golden Panda that I got 8 to 10 weeks ago, along with 5 other discus (2 snowflakes, 2 virgin reds, and the other Golden Panda) from Kenny. After the recomended quarantine, the six new guys went into my 240 to join my other 11 turquoise discus that I've had for well over a year. Everything has been fine up until 2 weeks ago when this smallest GP stopped eating, and hanging in the corner. I removed him, treated him for sickness, got him to eat, (it took 8 days), and once he was eating pretty good, moved him back to the 240.
The other discus began to harass him, and stress him so he stopped eating and began hanging inthe corner again. He is the smallest fish in the tank. Well I set up my 29 as a grow out for him and he is eating. I'll just have to wait until he gets bigger.

Pat

ExReefer
02-18-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't think having just four is a problem if they are all the same size and healthy from the start. As long as they remain healthy and keep eating, four should work. I've got four sub-adults growing out in a 40G BB and they are doing great. I power feed them and perform daily WC's. I do feel that if I slip up at all with water quality one of them will get stressed and eventually get picked on.

My situation my be different because I'm fairly confident my four sub-adults are males.

TURQ64
02-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I place four or so in breeder flats all the time......

Eddie
02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd recommend adding 2 more to the group after a strict quarantine. They do well in groups of 6 or more. ;)

Ditto, lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk