PDA

View Full Version : Colombian Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras

JL15219
02-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I wanted to add some schooling fish to my tank and I am stuck between Colombian Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras.....I orginally wanted to get rummy nose or lemon tetras (since I saw 3dees tank) but could not find locally.....so decided on the other two. So I just wanted some opinions what would look best with the discus, which would school tighter, and in general which would do best with the discus?

wendy9722
02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Post pics of them so people can see what to vote on.

JL15219
02-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Post pics of them so people can see what to vote on.

Well I kind of wanted opinions from people who have actually had one or the other, but I will post some pics....Sorry I reread this and it sounded kind of rude sorry about that!

JL15219
02-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Here is a link to a Colombian tetra
http://www.aquatropicalfish.com/showthread.php/3662-learning-about-columbian-tetra

Harlequin Rasbora
http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Carp/HarlequinRasboraPhoto1.asp

Here are some pics......

3dees
02-19-2011, 11:58 AM
harlequin's are pretty small. personally, I would rather keep it all amazon. so I vote colombians.

JL15219
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
harlequin's are pretty small. personally, I would rather keep it all amazon. so I vote colombians.

Thank you for the response 3dees I really wanted the lemon tetras but couldn't find any locally.....they never have anything I want locally!

JL15219
02-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow I thought I would get a lot more responses....

Ed13
02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
If you "need" one or the other, I'd have to say the harlequins. I've seen plenty of Colombian Tetras reach nearly 4", if not a bit more, to think it was a fluke. They are also faster and a bit more boisterous than the harlequins or many other small shoaling fish for that matter. Even if they don't display any aggression, I see them outcompeting the discus. Not really a menace, but not a fish I'd consider with discus unless we are talking about very large aquaria.

Very pretty and underated fish though.

saltydog
02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I have a group if harlequins and really like them. They are in my 180 planted tank with about 12 discus, a group of neons, small group of Congo tetras, group of red line barbs, A few Serpae tetras and some cories. I have had this group together with the exception of the red line barbs for over a year now.

Alok
02-20-2011, 09:59 PM
They are also faster and a bit more boisterous than the harlequins or many other small shoaling fish for that matter. Even if they don't display any aggression, I see them outcompeting the discus. Not really a menace, but not a fish I'd consider with discus unless we are talking about very large aquaria.

Very pretty and underated fish though.

+1 in favor of rasboras, although I do like the concept of "all amazonian" (that's why I have RNTs). Harlequins, once they settle down are unbeatable with their beautiful coppery tones.

3dees
02-21-2011, 12:05 PM
can't your lfs order lemons? I bought the last 12 and my lfs ordered more. called me when they arrived. others have said they can't find them. here in chicagoland, everyone has them.

JL15219
02-21-2011, 02:29 PM
can't your lfs order lemons? I bought the last 12 and my lfs ordered more. called me when they arrived. others have said they can't find them. here in chicagoland, everyone has them.

Yeah I have tired to get them to order them with not luck the lfs are really lousy....

tacks
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I have had all the fish you have mentioned. The best schooling fish imo are rummy nose they really stay together. I know you sad you cant get them locally but Snookin has them he is a sponsor here. HTH Ed

riiz
03-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I like columbians better for their color and size.