PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to move discus from small to large tank in the same room?

wunroch
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I am moving a proven pair of 7" blue diamond that I just bought and have only had about 3 days from a 33 gallon holding tank to a larger 120 gallon tank located in the same room. I WANT TO BE VERY CAREFUL. They are both eating well on frozen blood worms. Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are zero. Ph 7., temperature 86 - 87. Same tap water in both tanks. I have 2 large box filters with very active biological biomax in 33 now. I will equalize the temperature before I move the discus

1- I filled the 120 gallon tank with tap water yesterday. I added Prime. I turned on the Aquaclear 110 filter I bought. At the time of the move I will put the biologicall active biomax media from the 33 gallon tank into the Aquaclear and also add an additional biologically active box filter at teh time of the move. How many days do you think I should wait till the 120 gallon tank is safe to add the 2 large discus?

2- When I transfer the 2 discus what is the best way to do it. SHould I just net them and drop them into the bigger tank which is right next to the smaller tank? Is it better to try and get them in a small bucket under water without a net and then acclimate then a little with the new water from the 120 before tranferring them? REmember both tanks have the same tap water source.

Eddie
02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
1- I filled the 120 gallon tank with tap water yesterday. I added Prime. I turned on the Aquaclear 110 filter I bought. At the time of the move I will put the biologicall active biomax media from the 33 gallon tank into the Aquaclear and also add an additional biologically active box filter at teh time of the move. How many days do you think I should wait till the 120 gallon tank is safe to add the 2 large discus? You can add the fish immediately upon transferring the media.

2- When I transfer the 2 discus what is the best way to do it. SHould I just net them and drop them into the bigger tank which is right next to the smaller tank? Is it better to try and get them in a small bucket under water without a net and then acclimate then a little with the new water from the 120 before tranferring them? REmember both tanks have the same tap water source. There are many ways to transfer fish. I hate nets because they can cause damage to the hard rays of the fish. I prefer to use large tupperware bowls to collect the fish, along with some water to not scrape the fish or damage its slimecoat.

matt511
02-23-2011, 10:42 AM
wunroch

I would have moved all of your filters with your fish as soon as the tank had gotten up to temp. The problem with the way you have done it is the bacteria that you transfered to the new tank has nothing to feed on i.e. fish waste. They are pretty resilient fish and I would just watch to see if you get any ammonia or nitrates and do your water changes accordingly.

Matt

wunroch
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
sorry if it was not clear. All the bacteria is still in the 33 gallon tank with the discus to preserve the bacteria. The new tank has no bacteria yet. At the time I move the fish I will also move the bacteria and filters. The water is now the same temperature in both tanks. Prime was put in yesterday. Think I can move fish now?

Eddie
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
sorry if it was not clear. All the bacteria is still in the 33 gallon tank with the discus to preserve the bacteria. The new tank has no bacteria yet. At the time I move the fish I will also move the bacteria and filters. The water is now the same temperature in both tanks. Prime was put in yesterday. Think I can move fish now?

No, you were clear, you can move the filters and media ANYWHERE with the fish and the fish will be fine.

wunroch
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
I have a filter question which your expertise can answer for me. Besides the aquaclear biomax I will be transferring 2 large box filters from Jehmco which are filled with biomax. DO you think eventually I am better off replacing the box filters with a sponge filter which might be easier to clean and doesnt let the frozen blood worms go inside as it sometimes does with the box filter which I was told can lead to bacteria?
I also would like to ask you if algae on the glass is dangerous to discus. A very experienced breeder warned me about algae on the glass after seeing one of my tanks. In my other angel fish tank and 220 gallon reef tank I often have algae on glass and no problems. All water parameters are excellent. However in the past I have not been successful with discus and I really want to be as careful as possible.

Eddie
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
DO you think eventually I am better off replacing the box filters with a sponge filter which might be easier to clean and doesnt let the frozen blood worms go inside as it sometimes does with the box filter which I was told can lead to bacteria? Can you stack the media on top of filter floss so the floss acts as a prefilter?

I also would like to ask you if algae on the glass is dangerous to discus? NO

wunroch
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I will add filter floss on top of media in box filter. In the long run do you think this approach is better than using a hydro 5 sponge filter as extra second filter? I notice a lot of discus experts use the sponge filters.

wunroch
02-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Hmm I think i am confusing myself a bit. Box filter has airline tube coming down from top. Water is sucked through top and into filter. Ar bubbles then come out wider tube. HOwever blood worms get sucked in from top of filter through openings. So do I put the media at the bottom and the floss on top so it will catch the blood words as they get sucked in past the media. OR do I put the media on top and the filter floss on bottom and hope the blood worms get sucked down into the filter floss

Eddie
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
I prefer sponge filters over box.

wunroch
02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
fish have been moved using tupperware container. Seem very happy in their new home. I added all the biologically active biomax to Aquaclear 110. Ordered 2 large sponge filters for added filtering. So far looks great. Thanks

Eddie
02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
fish have been moved using tupperware container. Seem very happy in their new home. I added all the biologically active biomax to Aquaclear 110. Ordered 2 large sponge filters for added filtering. So far looks great. Thanks

Sounds good, glad it went smoothly.