PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Flake Food to Discus

mhead
02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Do members prefer to soak the flakes first or use them dry? I have been soaking them first when I feed at night but am wondering about using them dry when I have less time in the morning as I have to leave for work. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Eddie
02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Do members prefer to soak the flakes first or use them dry? I have been soaking them first when I feed at night but am wondering about using them dry when I have less time in the morning as I have to leave for work. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I feed them dry.

Skip
02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
i don't with flake.. pellets/tetrabits. i do.. i feed all kinds of flake: Prime Reef, Beefheart, Omegaone, spirillina, earthwork, plankton.. what ever good stuff my lfs has in bulk.. :)

jimg
02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
never with flakes, bits but I do thaw beefheart which is also cut int 1/4'' pieces

DonMD
02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Dry, three times a day with an auto feeder, then freeze dried black worms or beef heart at night.

stanlee
02-27-2011, 11:58 AM
is there a reason to soak them before feeding?
I use prime reef and they get "soaked real fast" the moment they hit the tank water.
cheers.

Eddie
02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
I use prime reef and they get "soaked real fast" the moment they hit the tank water.
cheers.

No, no reason. Feed it dry

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Skip
02-27-2011, 12:57 PM
i only soak my pellet food.. i seem to have read somewhere that sometimes the food expand in their belly's.. and my fish seem to get a little bloated sometimes.. so i am trying to cut out some variables..

roclement
02-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I soak them in tank water as soon as I sprinkle them in the tank! :) Just a light joke here for everyone!

Rodrigo

3dees
02-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I feed my fish prime reef and sara's granules in the morning. throw it in dry. the discus let it soak on the bottom for a bit before they eat.

Altum Nut
02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I soak them in tank water as soon as I sprinkle them in the tank! :) Just a light joke here for everyone!

Rodrigo

Good one Rodrigo,

Very healthy to bring back some humor.
It put a smile on my face for sure.

...Ralph

mikel
02-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Just my HO, but I use lots of different flakes and ground up pellets in my homemade mix, so I dont even bother feeding them anything but the mix. Two years ago, when I was still using pellets directly (Sera etc), I used to not soak, and I had two bouts of bloat/constipation with my turks. Since I switched to my BH mix (with flakesa nd pellets included inside), I have not had any constipation issues. Just a thought. mike

roclement
02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Just my HO, but I use lots of different flakes and ground up pellets in my homemade mix, so I dont even bother feeding them anything but the mix. Two years ago, when I was still using pellets directly (Sera etc), I used to not soak, and I had two bouts of bloat/constipation with my turks. Since I switched to my BH mix (with flakesa nd pellets included inside), I have not had any constipation issues. Just a thought. mike

And a good one! I find the Sera pellets to be better with issues like this than others, maybe becuase they are smalle rin size? Not sure...

Rodrigo

seanyuki
02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Stan.....I only soaked the flakes food if I needed to add liquid vitamins ........b4 feeding the fish.

cheers.

stanlee
03-02-2011, 10:58 AM
hi Francis,
i use prime reef flakes only, so from what i read so far in this forum esp from Eddie, they are already pretty loaded with all sorts of goodies, so i kind of lazy to add any thing else, not that it is necessary with prime reef.

what flakes u use to add liquid vitamins, perhaps i may add it next time to even prime reef if it gives it a better kick for the discus.
cheers.

seanyuki
03-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi Stan......once every 3 weeks......liquid vitamins added to ON Prime Reef or ON Formula One.......just started using this product too......Discus Vitamins & Amino Acids by Microbe-Lift.

http://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/discus-products/discus-vitamins-and-amino-acids/

hth

hi Francis,
i use prime reef flakes only, so from what i read so far in this forum esp from Eddie, they are already pretty loaded with all sorts of goodies, so i kind of lazy to add any thing else, not that it is necessary with prime reef.

what flakes u use to add liquid vitamins, perhaps i may add it next time to even prime reef if it gives it a better kick for the discus.
cheers.

ericatdallas
03-02-2011, 11:48 PM
When my discus did eat flakes I gave it to them dry. A couple still eat them, but I think they prefer the BH mix much better (which does have flake food in it).
They won't eat flake food any more. Even when they're starving they'll avoid it :(

Bud
03-05-2011, 06:18 PM
My juvies I got from breeder only ate tetra bits and bloodworms and occasional beefheart mix,I ordered beefheart flake,earthworm flake and hipro growth flake(from angels plus,all ntural,and 1$ an ounce!Big flakes too)and was warned how picky discus were,2nd day they turned into savages for it.Instead of dropping it on water,Iplaced it an inch in the water,cuz they wouldnt eat off top,only mid to bottom.heck they eat out of my hand only after 3 days of using it!

KEWX
03-06-2011, 12:54 AM
I use dry flakes (Angel Plus). I take a pinch of the big flakes between my fingers. I "dip" them in the water and let go. My discus "go to town" as they float down.

Keith Perkins
03-06-2011, 02:14 AM

I use to take this same approach, then I got some of those garlic beefheart dry flakes when I bought out a bunch of stuff from a guy getting out of discus. Then I had juvies wanting to be fed every other time I walked by the tank and the beefheart is upstairs so I started crunching up some flake for them, they put it away.