PDA

View Full Version : Dusty green film algae on tank glass treatment?

discuspaul
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
My knowledge of algae and it's causes are limited. Last week, for the first time I can ever remember it occuring in one of my tanks, I got an overnight dusting of fine film algae on my tank glass walls.
Something out of balance for sure. Did a little testing but couldn't find anything out of whack from the norm.
Also did some research only to find that it was said to be a temporary thing - difficult to get rid of it quickly, and almost all the suggested treatments were to let it ride itself out - give it 21 days without touching it, it would simply die out, you could then remove it from the glass and it would be gone, probably not to ever return. If one were to brush it off immediately, then it was said it would return in a matter of hours. Well, I tried that anyway, and sure enough, it returned very quickly.
I tried brushing a second time, but this time I did a large wc, then immediately double-dosed with excel, and turned on a UV sterilizer to run for a few days.
Lo and behold, it's been a few days, and it's gone !
Am I kidding myself, was that more "good luck" than "good Management" ?
Would like to hear some thoughts from the "bio-gurus", or anyone with the experience
of having this algae problem.

jcardona1
02-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Best I've algae guide I've come across:

http://www.jsctech.co.uk/theplantedtank/algae.htm

discuspaul
02-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks. Checked it out, and it said pretty much the same thing that I had researched on several other sites.