PDA

View Full Version : Wiping Down the Inside of the Tank

pekored
02-26-2011, 02:41 PM
I have read several references in regard to wiping down the inside of a tank when doing water changes. I have also read where one member said there is quite a bit of slime in wiping them down.

On several of my last water changes I have felt and checked the inside tank walls and cannot find anything at all ... no slime. I do a 50% WC every 3 days. I have 1 - 5" discus and 4 - 3.5" discus. I have 2 albino BN pleco's and 4 snails ... 1 nerite and 3 tiger.

Any comments / ideas as to why I do not have slime (not that I want it ... just if something is wrong) ?

Thanks,
Peter

moik
02-26-2011, 02:45 PM
not ness to considerate a layer of "SLIME" bacteria and organics accumalte in a film on everything inthe tank..best to do a wipedown everytime to minimize these issues..its all for the best of raising disucs up,especially smaller ones.

Eddie
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Your bn are cleaning the walls.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

discuspaul
02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Perhaps you are looking for "slime" in the visual and felt senses normally associated with that word, i.e. thick, viscious, gooey. Discus' slime coating is not like that - when shedded it leaves a very thin, just slightly oily, film on the tank glass - you must have some - when you do a wc, look closely, under light, at the dry part of the glass where water has been removed, and I think you'll see some.

Darrell Ward
02-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I have 30" deep tanks, wiping down the inside with your hand is not an option, unless perhaps you play in the NBA. I use a "MagFloat". Works well.

pekored
02-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the comments and advice!