PDA

View Full Version : Wrigglers day 3, now what?

heatherb
02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
We've got a confirmed pair in a community discus tank, will move to their own abode in the next month or so. Each time they spawn, they get a little better.

They have 50+ wrigglers, (on the filter tube, naturally) we're on day 3 since they've hatched, mom has moved them twice, off the filter tube to a cord, and back again. At what point will they become free swimmers and attach?

Eddie
02-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Here is real good guideline. Also, if they are in a community tank, they probably won't last long with other fish in the tank.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?26679-Hatching-timeline

heatherb
02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks, I read this thoroughly, I'm just worried that it's taking too long for them to become free swimmers, 3 days seems late.

I don't expect any to survive, it's a heavily planted tank, with 5 discus. Surprisingly, the other 3 are being very well behaved, and staying on the other side of the tank. But, practice makes perfect, and they seem to be doing remarkably well for 13 months old, and their first spawning cycle. Each spawn that hatches, and makes it a little longer is a success in my book!

Eddie
02-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Well why are you worried about them going free-swimming if you know they are not going to survive anyways?

heatherb
02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
The further they get in the cycle, the more likely to be successful in the future. They make more progress each time they spawn, so when we move them, I expect they will be very successful.

Is it wrong that I want them to succeed, even when the odds are not in their favor?

Eddie
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
The further they get in the cycle, the more likely to be successful in the future. They make more progress each time they spawn, so when we move them, I expect they will be very successful.

Is it wrong that I want them to succeed, even when the odds are not in their favor?

They have already succeeded to a point. Once you move them and concentrate on raising the fry, then I would understand why attachment might be something that is important. Once the wrigglers go free swimming, its not like they get magnetized to the parents, they are going to shoot like rockets across the tank and the other fish are going to eat them. I'm just wondering what it is that you want them to succeed at, thats all.

nc0gnet0
02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
They have already succeeded to a point. Once you move them and concentrate on raising the fry, then I would understand why attachment might be something that is important. Once the wrigglers go free swimming, its not like they get magnetized to the parents, they are going to shoot like rockets across the tank and the other fish are going to eat them. I'm just wondering what it is that you want them to succeed at, thats all.

Not to derail this thread, but I have often wondered how these things ever re-produce in the wild for this very reason.

Eddie
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
There is a vast world out there in the wild. Lol Initially the pair finds a nice secluded area but eventually that's not enough. I've read that there are not a lot if survivors in the wild. Be cool to see a whole spawn moving through the water in the wild.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

mrfishes
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Theoretically if a population is stable in size in nature, each fish should have just one offspring that survives. And that's for the fish's entire life, not per spawn!

heatherb
02-27-2011, 11:25 AM
We've got free swimmers! I'll let you know if / how long they make it.

We're selling angels today, so we'll have a cycled 35 gal ready. I'm a naturalist, never planned to breed, so I'm hoping this is nature's culling! Luckily the pair are the alpha's in the tank, so everyone is letting them do their thing.

heatherb
02-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Thought I'd post a couple of pics of the parents, mom is the snakeskin and dad is the blue knight.

Eddie
02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Thought I'd post a couple of pics of the parents, mom is the snakeskin and dad is the blue knight.

Colorful fish. If you are referring to the patterned fish as the female, she is a tiger turquoise.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

hedut
02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
well I like that pattern look cool but I personally don't think that is SS I think that is red turq with tiger pattern :)

heatherb
02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
cool, thanks, it's always a challenge guessing what strain(s) they are!

mmorris
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Best of luck with the offspring! It's time to get them their own tank. The pair are certainly worth the effort!

MostlyDiscus
03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
well I like that pattern look cool but I personally don't think that is SS I think that is red turq with tiger pattern :)
Red Turq with tiger patern. Nice fish though.