PDA

View Full Version : How should I sanitize a 55 gallon drum?

kendrid
02-28-2011, 09:14 PM
I just picked up a 55 gallon drum for $20. It will allow me to do much larger water changes than my current setup. It previously held food coloring and has stickers that state it is safe and Kosher. I have rinsed it out about ten times now but I'm still paranoid. Is there any type of cleaner I should use or is rinsing with hot water enough? It still has a slight smell but it's been sealed for months so I'm not sure if that will go away.

I have oxyclean which I think would be safe (?). I also have Star San which is a restaurant grade cleaner that I use for another hobby (homebrewing). Any other cleaners that would be safe?

Here are the details on Star San. People drink trace amounts it so Discus should be able to...

Star San is a flavorless, odorless, no-rinse food grade sanitizer. When used according to directions, it will completely eliminate all microorganisms that it comes into contact with. It is fast acting and foaming to sanitize cracks, crevices, and impossible to get to places. The foam itself will sanitize and stays longer on a surface. That is especially helpful inside tanks and places where it is difficult to keep a complete liquid contact.

Star San leaves a microscopic film on sanitized items that will continue to protect bottles and equipment even after they have dried. This will not effect the quality, flavor, clarity or color of beer. Finally, it is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and will not harm the "helpful" bacteria in a septic system.

Keith Perkins
02-28-2011, 09:22 PM
If it had food coloring in it it should be pretty safe from the get go. I'd have cleaned it with a bleach (unscented) solution, let it completely air dry, rinse it once with clear water just to be safe, air dry again and enjoy. If you're heating and aerating this reservoir you could drop a sacrificial lamb into it to be sure, but I would think it would be absolutely fine being that it's a food grade barrel.

Jhhnn
02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
If it had food coloring in it it should be pretty safe from the get go. I'd have cleaned it with a bleach (unscented) solution, let it completely air dry, rinse it once with clear water just to be safe, air dry again and enjoy. If you're heating and aerating this reservoir you could drop a sacrificial lamb into it to be sure, but I would think it would be absolutely fine being that it's a food grade barrel.

I agree. I use barrels that contained propylene glycol in their previous lives w/o issues. They come from a medical adhesive supply outfit, but the stuff is used as potable waterline antifreeze in campers & cabins, also as a food additive. I just rinse & dump a few times. Food coloring should be no different.

Food grade barrels are the best bang for the buck water aging containers available, imo, and they're extremely tough, built to be knocked around. You just need to be sure of your source.

kendrid
02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. Since this barrel still has the original stickers on it I assume it's safe. I didn't mention discus at all and he said "I've sold five of these to a local discus breeder" so someone else around me is using them.

I used some Star San, scrubbed it down, rinsed it out and I'm letting it dry overnight. I will hook it up to my water and give it a try in a few days once the water is warmed up and ready.

Thanks!

jball1125
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm more worried about the star San than I was about the barrel. Make sure you really rinse the stuff off. Says it leaves a film even after it dries for long lasting protection. You should just have used bleach. Rinse well and let air dry.

Foxfire
03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Bleach (unscented), after a simple rinse and air drying, will leave almost zero residue - one of the best ways to clean any tank (glass.) That said, removing any organic from plastic is VERY difficult - organics can leach out from deep within the plastic for years and surface cleanings will not get at those deeply buried organics. Not sure any plastic can really be cleaned safely (for high end fish.) It would be far better to clean the barrels and then use a plastic linear bag to at least reduce the cross diffusion of the organics. If you know the organics are safe, then this is not important but if unsure, error on the side of caution.
Again, my two-cents

Foxfire
03-01-2011, 10:01 AM
I just picked up a 55 gallon drum for $20. It will allow me to do much larger water changes than my current setup. It previously held food coloring and has stickers that state it is safe and Kosher. I have rinsed it out about ten times now but I'm still paranoid. Is there any type of cleaner I should use or is rinsing with hot water enough? It still has a slight smell but it's been sealed for months so I'm not sure if that will go away.

I have oxyclean which I think would be safe (?). I also have Star San which is a restaurant grade cleaner that I use for another hobby (homebrewing). Any other cleaners that would be safe?

Here are the details on Star San. People drink trace amounts it so Discus should be able to...

Just because something is safe for people, in NO WAY means it is safe for fish (and the other way is true too.) Do not assume, unless stated by the mfg., that any chemical is safe for fish. Sorry, but those are absolute facts. You are taking a calculated risk (maybe ok but is it worth the risk?)
In no case will any chemical (except maybe a powerful etch) get buried chemicals out of plastic. Just accept they are there and decide if you can live with them. Rinsing (esp. hot water) is a good idea and the safest method - bleach is questionable since it could cause dangerous chemical reactions with the food dye (don't know but again, is it worth the risk if the dye is "safe"?)
Two cents and little help - its really your call.

kendrid
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the posts and opinions. The points on the Star San are valid, for some reason I'm afraid of bleach... ;) I am going to do two more hot water only washes (and dries) with scrubs in between. On other fish forums I've read of people using this type of barrel to hold salt water, r/o water, etc as long as it was food grade, which this one is.

My plan is to do a large water change in my 10 gallon livebearer tank first. I'll monitor them for a few days to be sure they don't go belly up then proceed. I'll post back here if I have issues so people searching for this in the future will know the results (I hate threads that ask a question with no results...).

jball1125
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't be afraid of bleach. If you rinse and let dry any remaining bleach will evaporate. Plus, once you fill it back up you can double dose the dechlorinator to be extra sure. Hope it works out and keep us updated

kendrid
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Don't be afraid of bleach. If you rinse and let dry any remaining bleach will evaporate. Plus, once you fill it back up you can double dose the dechlorinator to be extra sure. Hope it works out and keep us updated

I did not know that about bleach. I am thinking that to be safe I'll bleach it after giving it a few more good rinses. I'd rather err on the side of caution that end up with dead fish. I'm in no hurry, my fish can live with 50% water changes for another week.

Foxfire
03-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I did not know that about bleach. I am thinking that to be safe I'll bleach it after giving it a few more good rinses. I'd rather err on the side of caution that end up with dead fish. I'm in no hurry, my fish can live with 50% water changes for another week.

Bleach is utterly safe for glass (after drying) but NOT plastic! Bleach. even after drying can leave issues deep in the plastic that can bite you later - also, read my post: bleach WILL react with any organics buried in the plastic (and these tanks are filled with organics - the dyes - for a few microns into the plastic - and these could be deadly once they react with bleach and then leach out into warm water (most likely not a serious issue but it is a bad idea unless you know for sure.) Unless you are worried about bacteria, why use bleach at all? It is a terrible idea to EVER use bleach to clean organics. It is used to sterilize tanks, not decontaminate chemicals!

Again, hot water is your best bet.

As for plastic tanks (new!) that are food grade - yes, those tanks are safe but that in NO way means that what was stored in used tanks (i.e. food dye) is ok for fish (yes, it is likely it is safe but it most certainly it does not mean it is for sure - very fundemental differance here, my friend. Sorry for repeating but what you are concluding does not follow from what you have read and quoted here and that is all I can comment about. Good luck.

kendrid
03-01-2011, 06:44 PM
You are correct - I forgot your post about bleach and plastic. Bleach is out, multiple hot water scrubs are my next steps then testing on my 10g. Thanks for the kick in the head.. ;)

kendrid
06-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Bumping this old thread to close it out. I've been using the 55 gallon drum for a while now with no issues.