PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Set Up My New Tank!

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Ok I just picked up a sweet 90 gal 3/4" thick glass tank that measures 48" wide, 32" tall and 17" wide. Going to put it on top of a solid wood (old school) 2 foot tall dresser. Will likely cover the back with either paint, vynil or those thin plastic molded rock-like backgrounds I see on Smith and Foster's. It will be bare bottom and I will run 2 300 watt ViaAqua heaters, at least 1 xlarge sponge filter and a large bubble wand set up towards the back of the tank. My question is about filteration. This tanks is going to be over 6 ft tall (I'm only 5' 6") so I want to get something that will make my life easier yet be cost effective. I was originally thinking of an AquaClear 110, but because of the tank size, would I be better served by a canister?

Eddie
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
With a bare tank, I'd recommend the HOBs over a canister. That's just my preference. I like the combo of sponges and HOBs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Second Hand Pat
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
You could do two AC 110s. Could be too much flow however.

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Is 1 110 not enough? Maybe better to go 2 AC70s?

Second Hand Pat
03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a 110 on the 75 QT tank and it was plenty. But the 75 is only 21 inches vs the 32 of your 90. The 70 sound like they could handle the load (specs below). I think I would like to see more folks chime in who run ACs on a taller tank. Are you sure it a 90? I thought the 90 gallon dims. were like 48x17x24. Yours sounds more like a 150 wide (see link below).

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h100perfecto_tanks.htm

- For aquariums of 30 - 70 U.S. Gal.
- Maximum Output: 1135 L/h (300 U.S. Gal./h)
- Full Flow Control: 378 L/h (100 U.S. Gal./h)
- Power Consumption: 6 W
- Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 265 L (70 U.S. Gal.)
- AquaClear is backed by a lifetime guarantee
- Flow Control: Simply shift the patented "Flow Adjustment Control" at the the intake siphon. When the "Flow Adjustment Control" is at its greatest blockage, AquaClear's input and exhaust volumes are approximately a third of its maximum capacity.
- 8.5" Long
- 8" Tall
- 6" Deep

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I was told it was a 90 but its the heaviest tank I've ever had. Actually it was so heavy that I had to get my friends help to carry it and we even used a dolly.

strawberryblonde
03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I did the math in my head really quick and your new tank works out to just slightly over 90 gal. Congrats on the new setup Moon! Are you going to growing out some wee babes in there?

pekored
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey ... Congrats!! This sounds like a fantastic tank.

In regard to the filtration, there are of course pros and cons between the HOBs and canisters. The HOBs are definitely easier to clean and maintain. As to the canisters, I feel their biggest pro is the greater volume of filter media that they hold. One of the specs listed with a canister is typically the volume of media it will hold. I do not want to start a flame war, but you will usually see this 'spec' missing from the HOBs. Downside is that it will take longer to clean and maintain a canister. Go with your gut on this ... either will do a great job.

One last piece of advice, if I may, is go over spec on your filter. If a filter is at the top part of the range for you tank size ... go up a size. Like I have read elsewhere, some of us just don't believe you can over-filter. Also, have not worried about water flow and current. For the spray bar from an Eheim 2213, the bar is angled to the surface and breaks up the surface a bit. The flow from a Fluval 305 is pretty strong, but it has not stopped 5 discus from moving the full range of my tank.

Hope this helps and it is not intended to offend anyone!

Cheers,
Peter

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Great advice all! still unclear if I should get 1 AC110 or 2 AC70s? AC110 is rated to 110 gallons and mine is a 90.

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
No I'm going to moving my 3.5 - 4 inchers that i got from Kenny there (5 of them so far) and buy 4 or 5 more from his March or April stock. I will then use the 40 gallon tank that is currently housing them to possibly get half a dozen 2 inchers and try to grow them out.

hedut
03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I have 90 gln tank, I use XP3 , 1 AC110 and 3 sponge

pekored
03-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I would go for 2 filters. Rationale: you'll have a functioning backup; you can stagger the maintenance and give the just maintained filter a chance to biologically recover (if needed); and, if you are into different media types you could focus the filters with different media combinations. If it were me, I would get 2 AC110's ... but then we all know I'm nuts!

discuspaul
03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Great debate. I use an AC 110, and an AC 70 on my 75 gal. and that's just super for me, as far as clarity, ease of maintenance, and availability of options in media usage. On that 90 gal, you wouldn't do badly at all with that, or even 2 AC 110's, for that matter, if there's room at the back. Can't go wrong with over-filtration, and the strength of water flow should be ok on that 90.

strawberryblonde
03-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Can you use a sump? It doesn't have to be overly complicated and that, in addition to a HOB filter would make maintenance a whole lot easier. I decided to add a sump as my second filtration and just used sponges on the intake and output stems, then added baffles with Purigen and a scrubby sponge in the middle. Cost me less than $30 to make the whole thing.

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Great debate. I use an AC 110, and an AC 70 on my 75 gal. and that's just super for me, as far as clarity, ease of maintenance, and availability of options in media usage. On that 90 gal, you wouldn't do badly at all with that, or even 2 AC 110's, for that matter, if there's room at the back. Can't go wrong with over-filtration, and the strength of water flow should be ok on that 90.

so do you think I will be better served with 2 AC110s or 2 AC70s?

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Can you use a sump? It doesn't have to be overly complicated and that, in addition to a HOB filter would make maintenance a whole lot easier. I decided to add a sump as my second filtration and just used sponges on the intake and output stems, then added baffles with Purigen and a scrubby sponge in the middle. Cost me less than $30 to make the whole thing.

Honestly I'm intimidated by anything other than HOBs. I've never had a canister, sump, R/O or anything like that so I'm scared to make the $$$ investment and not know what the hell I'm doing lol....

Second Hand Pat
03-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Since you are comfortable with the HOB seems like 2 AC 110 is a good starting point. I'm a fan of over filtering and having a backup is a great idea. The AC 110 is not a huge amount of money either.

ericatdallas
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Honestly I'm intimidated by anything other than HOBs. I've never had a canister, sump, R/O or anything like that so I'm scared to make the $$$ investment and not know what the hell I'm doing lol....

There's really not much to a canister. I felt the same way when I bought my first canister. I went to YouTube and there are people (including the mfg) demonstrating how to use it.

strawberryblonde
03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
I hear ya Moon! I was shaking in my booties when I bought my canister and then spent a solid week trying to figure out how the heck a sump actually works. LOL

Funny thing is, the canister setup was super easy and done in about an hour (filled, up and running) and would have been done sooner if I'd been able to figure out which was the intake side of the house on the first try.

The sump really was easy. It's all about making sure you leave enough room in the sump for "overflow" if the power goes out. (Some will drain out of the tank, but only to the lowest point of your overflow tube). The other part that confused me was putting in the baffles till I realized that it was an under/over water flow that was the desired effect. 3 pieces of acrylic, two that hit the bottom of the sump tank and one in the middle that's raised about an inch or so, and voila. The water overflows from the tank into a HOB looking container, then drains out of that into the sump. Once it hits the sump, the water pump on the far end of the sump container pulls the water up through the baffles...which is where you stick any filter media that you want to use. After it's pulled through the baffles, it returns to the tank via the hose attached to the pump.

I put a sponge in the intake so I get some extra bio filtration as the water is returned to the tank.

Canisters work in pretty much the same fashion. Suck the water into the canister where it's forced into the bottom and then gets pulled back up through several layers of filtration and then is returned to the tank via the outflow tubing.

Hope that helps, but definitely go with whatever filtration makes you the most comfortable. I just was thinking that a sump might make maintenance easier since you said the top of the tank is going to be so high above you.

Ohhhh, forgot to mention that an added bonus in using a sump is that you can put your heaters and airstone in there so they don't clutter up the tank. Well, you can do that if you're using something bigger than an old 10 gallon tank. LOL

SB

moon_knight1971
03-01-2011, 11:54 PM
I hear ya Moon! I was shaking in my booties when I bought my canister and then spent a solid week trying to figure out how the heck a sump actually works. LOL

Funny thing is, the canister setup was super easy and done in about an hour (filled, up and running) and would have been done sooner if I'd been able to figure out which was the intake side of the house on the first try.

The sump really was easy. It's all about making sure you leave enough room in the sump for "overflow" if the power goes out. (Some will drain out of the tank, but only to the lowest point of your overflow tube). The other part that confused me was putting in the baffles till I realized that it was an under/over water flow that was the desired effect. 3 pieces of acrylic, two that hit the bottom of the sump tank and one in the middle that's raised about an inch or so, and voila. The water overflows from the tank into a HOB looking container, then drains out of that into the sump. Once it hits the sump, the water pump on the far end of the sump container pulls the water up through the baffles...which is where you stick any filter media that you want to use. After it's pulled through the baffles, it returns to the tank via the hose attached to the pump.

I put a sponge in the intake so I get some extra bio filtration as the water is returned to the tank.

Canisters work in pretty much the same fashion. Suck the water into the canister where it's forced into the bottom and then gets pulled back up through several layers of filtration and then is returned to the tank via the outflow tubing.

Hope that helps, but definitely go with whatever filtration makes you the most comfortable. I just was thinking that a sump might make maintenance easier since you said the top of the tank is going to be so high above you.

Ohhhh, forgot to mention that an added bonus in using a sump is that you can put your heaters and airstone in there so they don't clutter up the tank. Well, you can do that if you're using something bigger than an old 10 gallon tank. LOL

SB

I'm having a blonde moment lol....Good suggestion to check out youtube eric. Second Hand Pat I think you are right

Second Hand Pat
03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Go with whatever feels right for you but soon you will need to post some pictures. :)

moon_knight1971
03-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm stuck looking for a stand for this huge aquarium! Cheapest one I see is Petsmart for $180. Other than going on craigslist and searching for an old, solid wood dresser........

Second Hand Pat
03-02-2011, 12:37 AM
You could do one of the metal stands.

ericatdallas
03-02-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm stuck looking for a stand for this huge aquarium! Cheapest one I see is Petsmart for $180. Other than going on craigslist and searching for an old, solid wood dresser........

You said you were using a 90 right? A 90 uses the same stand/dimensions as a 75. Currently, I'm using an old desk (solid, not cheap walmart plywood kind) to hold one of my 75G that I got from Goodwill for $40. It's slightly short so I cut a piece of wood (Home Depot will do this for you if you don't have the tools) and placed it under the tank (after I painted it black). So the piece of wood and tank extend out behind the desk because it's not wide enough, but it keeps the weight distributed across the desk and most importantly, the weight of the water even across the bottom of the aquarium.

In my area, I've seen 75G stands up for sale and they will work fine for your 90G.

The other option is you can build your own. I had considered this option and might do it when I move. You can probably do it for about $50 or less of material.

moon_knight1971
03-02-2011, 03:24 AM
You could do one of the metal stands.

What metal stands?

moon_knight1971
03-02-2011, 03:29 AM
You said you were using a 90 right? A 90 uses the same stand/dimensions as a 75. Currently, I'm using an old desk (solid, not cheap walmart plywood kind) to hold one of my 75G that I got from Goodwill for $40. It's slightly short so I cut a piece of wood (Home Depot will do this for you if you don't have the tools) and placed it under the tank (after I painted it black). So the piece of wood and tank extend out behind the desk because it's not wide enough, but it keeps the weight distributed across the desk and most importantly, the weight of the water even across the bottom of the aquarium.

In my area, I've seen 75G stands up for sale and they will work fine for your 90G.

The other option is you can build your own. I had considered this option and might do it when I move. You can probably do it for about $50 or less of material.

Will check out goodwiill and salvation army this weekend. Most of the 75 gal stands aren't wide enough unless I use your idea and add a board under that is wide enough. Thought about building my own but I'm worried that it won't hold up to the weight. I'm estimating the tank is about 150 lbs by itself then adding 90 gallons of water adds another 720 lbs to it. That's almost 1000 lbs.....

Second Hand Pat
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
What metal stands?

Check this out. This stand for the 90/75 is still quite pricey.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9883&cmpid=03csesh&ref=3554&subref=AA

moon_knight1971
03-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Dang! i guess the Discus gods are smiling down on me. I went on craigslist a few minutes ago and a guy a few cities over is selling a 75 gal metal stand for $40. 4 x 18 which fits this tank perfectly! Only bummer is I have to rent a U-Haul because the stand will not fit in my sedan but I'm still going to come out roses!

Second Hand Pat
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Very sweet and happy for you. May the discus gods continue to smile.

moon_knight1971
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Should start cycling the water this weekend so maybe I'll pick out some out of Kenny's April batch!

pekored
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I 'finally' sent you a PM last night answering your question. Please let me know if you got it.

moon_knight1971
03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I 'finally' sent you a PM last night answering your question. Please let me know if you got it.

got it! thanks!

Foxfire
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I had HOB filters for many years but when I tried a canister, I was sold - far easier to clean (I'm lost on people who say otherwise - just take the whole unit to the sink, pull out the media boxes and clean.) Canisters do have far larger bio-media volume so they clean the water better. That said, HOB's with biowheels provide far more oxygen to the water. The canister spray bar makes a lot of noise if you don't keep it at or under the water line. On the other hand, canisters (mine, at least) make near zero motor noise unlike my old HOB's. I'll never go back but really, the performance difference is not major and if cost is an issue then maybe the HOB is better. My two point three cents on this subject.

moon_knight1971
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Appreciate the input foxfire!