PDA

View Full Version : eheim canister filter shutoff lever just broke!!

gerrard00
03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Sorry if this is off topic guys, just a little stressed and looking for some input. I have an eheim professional 3 filter that has been working fine since August. About an hour ago, I turned the shutoff lever to the off position and fed my guys. When I went to turn the shutoff lever back to the on position, it made a click and did not start up the filter. The lever is now basically hanging loose. The filter is on, but no water is flowing.

I can't remove the adapter, because the safety must still be engaged.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. My LFS was no help and did not have the replacement part in stock. Even if they did have the part, I don't know how to remove the adapter.

I tried to contact eheim, but it's after their business hours.

I have a 72 gallon tank with 6 juvies. I feed six times a day and do daily 50% water changes. I currently use the eheim professional 3 canister filter and a hydro #4 sponge filter.

At this point, the only thing I can think of to do is hook up my second hydro #4 so I have two sponge filters going until I can contact eheim on Monday.

Any advice?

moon_knight1971
03-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Do you have a spare HOB filter you can run on it until you get the canister serviced?

Bud
03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
I ran my 75 gal for weeks with just two hydro lV's with 6 juvies and 50% changes and perameters were great!

Ryan
03-05-2011, 02:24 AM
With daily water changes of 50% or more, two large Hydro sponges is fine. I raised 6 discus to 6" in a 55 gallon with two Hydro Vs and daily w/c of 75%+. Unplug the canister, empty the water, and put your media in a spare HOB if you have one to keep the bacteria alive and working. Then once you get the canister repaired/replaced, you can just put the media back in. This isn't necessary, of course, but it would be great to save it if possible.

You can add some extra bubblers or a small powerhead/water pump if you want to keep some water movement in the tank.

gerrard00
03-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys! I will either have my filter fixed on Monday or I'll buy a new one if I have to.

I don't have a spare HOB, unfortunately, so I guess my bacteria are going to die. It's unfortunate, but I'll use this as an excuse to do a thorough cleaning and media replacement.

I think I'll add some additional gravel cleaning, just glad to hear that I'm not in an instant life or death situation for my little friends.

gerrard00
03-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Just to wrap things up, Eheim delivered a replacement pumphead to my LFS and I picked it up w/ no problem. Thanks again for the input, guys!

Cuchulainn
03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Good to hear Gerrard! Was the replacement head covered under warranty?

gerrard00
03-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Yep, I wasn't charged anything at all. Definitely great customer service!

Cuchulainn
03-14-2011, 01:20 AM
SwEEt. Good to know they took care of ya!