PDA

View Full Version : Spike in Cyclying tank's PH: Is amonia to blame?

DiscusBR
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have just started a new 80g tank, whose setup is described in more detail in a thread that I posted in the general discussion area:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86466-New-80g-tank!-How-to-build-one-with-Simply-Discus

I started cyclying the tank on Friday by adding 7 ml of pure amonia (concentration of 6%). The ph read 6.4, the same as my tap water. On saturday I tested the tank's water again. Ph was again 6.4 and amonia was 2 ppm, so I added more 5 ml of pure amonia. A few hours later the ph had jumped to 8.4!! Today, on Sunday, the ph reads 8.2 and amonia 4 ppm. Can someone explain if I did something wrong or if there is a reason for this sudden jump in the ph?

Thanks in advance,

Mauro

Thanks

Ardan
03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
You might try increasing aeration.
Use a lot of aeration so the bacteria can grow, they need oxygen. Just a suggestion, not positive on why this happened.
hth
Ardan

DiscusBR
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Is the ammonia pure? What are you checking the ph with? i do the cycles with .50 - 1.0 ppm

Yes, it is pure ammonia with a 6% concentration. I am using the API ammonia test. Aren't we supposed to start the cycling process with ammonia reaching 4.0 ppm? Any other thoughts about the causes of this fast and dramatic ph increase?

jimg
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Yes, it is pure ammonia with a 6% concentration. I am using the API ammonia test. Aren't we supposed to start the cycling process with ammonia reaching 4.0 ppm? Any other thoughts about the causes of this fast and dramatic ph increase?

I had to re write that! ammonia will raise the ph I thought with only liquid tests but i just checked with the meter and it raises it with that too.
I found using .50 + does the same as 4.0-5.0 too much ammonia can kill off good bacteria too and slow the growth nitrate building bacteria.

DiscusBR
03-06-2011, 08:16 PM
So, is it normal to have a significant increase in ph when adding pure ammonia to a cycling tank? Should I be concerned?

jimg
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
yes and no... when you are ready to put the fish in just do a major water change a day before to see how everything stabilizes. ph being high during cycle actually helps along with plenty of o2 and mid 80's temp

DerekFF
03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I thought the PH should crash downwards with a buildup of ammonia and nitrites/nitrates?

jimg
03-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I thought the PH should crash downwards with a buildup of ammonia and nitrites/nitrates?

i thought so too that's why I asked if the ammonia was pure ammonia and what he was checking it with, i thought maybe a chemical reaction with the test kit but i did a test with liquid and my meter and had the same results.

DiscusBR
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Humm, the mystery continues... I am using a bottle that says pure ammonia (6% concentration). It is supposed to have only ammonia and water. Do you thing that they might have added another chemical element in this bottle that is causing the ph spike? Now I am really worried.

jimg
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
no. i use ace hardware pure ammonia and that's what I did the test with. the lowering of the ph happens with the nitrification process and fish breathing, you don't have that yet.