PDA

View Full Version : Discus scare of light

shorjai
03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
i just got 4 discus in my 20g tank, the size is aobut 21/2 to 3 1/2.. They are inside the new home for about 3 days by now.. everytime when i turn on the light, they always hide in a corner.. how can i introduce the lighting to them slowing?? any advice will help ..

thanks

Ardan
03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi,
The tank is a bit small for four discus. I would really keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite. Wc's are critical.
I do think more space for them would help. 50 gallons would be better. Also the temp should be about 86F and 2 tablespoon per 10 gallons water may help them settle down.
hth
Ardan

cp21506
03-08-2011, 07:50 PM
From my experience, use room light for another week or two. Or use a very low intensity light for a couple of weeks. Initially, when you first turn on the light, leave them alone for a little while and let them settle down a bit. Walk in slowly and give them some food they like; for my fish, frozen blood worms. The key is not to do any sudden movements. I also found that they don't like me wearing black. White shirts work for them when I approach them. Slowly increase the intensity of the light introduce to them over a period of a few weeks.

It took me awhile to eventually have them be comfortable with lights. Now, my fish don't even blink when I turn lights on or off. They still don't like me wearing black though ... LOL !!!

Darrell Ward
03-08-2011, 08:11 PM
More discus, and a bigger tank will solve the problem. Guaranteed. With only a 20 gal. tank, its probably bare, and combined with only four fish, that's the perfect recipe for skittish discus, lights or not. I have 4" wild discus that ate from my fingers after only a couple days under 110 watts of lighting. It's all about making them feel comfortable in their surroundings. If they are comfortable, they will come running to the front of the tank every time they see you, looking for food. If they are not comfortable, they will be skittish, and try to hide every time they see you. Discus behavior is really kind of simple, and rather predictable. Fish are certainly not the most advanced creatures on the planet. The rely mostly on instinct. :)

Pardal
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I completed agree with Darrell. Discus are highly social fish special to the size you have 2.5 to 3.5 inches. bigger fish tend to be less "jumpy". I have a customer who bought 3 juvies once. And they where all scary an jumpy. He thought I was trying to make a sale so I gave him 4 more juvies as a trial . He became a believer right away. just go by the old saying "the more the merry".
Julian.:o

shorjai
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
i have a 72g but its wayyy too big for them right now.. so i kept them in a 20g and do 70% water change daily.....

cp21506
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
i have a 72g but its wayyy too big for them right now.. so i kept them in a 20g and do 70% water change daily.....

If they are this small, you can add 1 or 2 more but make sure you keep up with the water changes and monitor Ammonia and Nitrite levels. The higher number will help them be more brave. But still introduce high intensity light slowly.

Hsunami
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM
how intense are the lights? Because when my discus tank is set up i was going to use 2 10k T5O bulbs....on a 55 gallon. Or what type of bulbs bring out the discus color the best. (Sorry if i highjacked the thread)