PDA

View Full Version : a couple semi-urgent questions..

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 03:09 AM
I have 5 jouvie discus in a 30 gallon tank for QT. Have had them for 2 weeks now. they seem constantly stressed and hide anytime I'm in the same room. They are nibbling on food but do not jump for it when I try to feed them. I clean up excess food after 20-30 minutes after "attempting" to feed them. My temp is constantly 84, and I use aged tap water for water changes. My ph is around 7.6. My questions are:

1. I have some ammonia showing up in my tank, up to .25ppm, I do daily water changes of 50% and am running fully cycled filters that are rated for 4x the size of my tank. What could be causing the ammonia to rise???

2. My tank has a mirrored background. Can this cause extra stress to the fish/confusion? Has anyone had experience using mirrored backgrounds?

Eddie
03-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Change out the background. Do you have chlorine or chloramines in your water. If chloramines, than ammonia will register in your tests. What type dechlor do you use?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 06:28 AM
I use prime added to tank while I'm pumping from aging barrel. Mirror is build into tank, almost like a spray on coating. I have a brand new 60 I can move them into once I get it set up. Should I clean the new tank before I move them in? If so what should I use?

Darrell Ward
03-10-2011, 07:06 AM
I use prime added to tank while I'm pumping from aging barrel. Mirror is build into tank, almost like a spray on coating. I have a brand new 60 I can move them into once I get it set up. Should I clean the new tank before I move them in? If so what should I use?

If the tank has never been used, I'd rinse it out, and set it up ASAP. Constant stress on fish can lead to major problems.

Eddie
03-10-2011, 07:47 AM
If you are using prime than you are fine. It converts ammonia to ammonium, which will register on your test kit but it's harmless and nitrifying bacteria can still utilize it.

The background might be the issue. Are you reading any nitrites or nitrates?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 08:21 AM
I get tiny ammounts of nitrates that barley register with my tests, but I haven't checked them in a week or so, I just know about the ammonia because ii have a constant ammonia monitor in my tank, and backed it up with a liquid test to verify.

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Omg, semi-urgent has become urgent.. just got home from work and I've had the lights off on these guys for a little bit and been trying to give them some space, but I turned the lights on and I see they are covered in white stuff, not entireley but it looks almost like what happens to your HOB filters once they are in your tank for awhile, that calcium looking build up... also one of them has 3 white spots around his eye. I've already treated for ick. I dunno wth. As hard as I've been workin to keep the water clean and ease them along, I dunno what I'm doin wrong!!

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 09:26 AM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/55b6f8c751.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/) I know its horrible quality cell phone picture.. but you can see the three white spots, another one has a single spot, all around eyes though.

mmorris
03-10-2011, 02:09 PM
The picture is pretty much useless.
1) Can you provide better photos?
2) What, exactly, are you treating them with?
3)Do you have other fish? If so, is it possible you cross-contaminated?
4) How did you cycle your filter?

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Can't get a better pic to save my life.
Just started treating with tetra all-in-one
Bought all fish at same time from same supplier
Cycled filter in my 55 gallon tank with neons and rams,
They are also itching at the spots, rubbing, the spots are external, I can see mass to them.

andyl9063
03-10-2011, 06:23 PM
sounds like ich. treat with salt and up the tempp............

PAR23
03-10-2011, 08:25 PM
As asked by Eddie, did you check your nitrites yet? The ongoings in your tank sounds like a water issue. I would not increase temp just yet until you get a better handle on what the problem is. Elevated temp with a bacterial infection will result in dead fish. Check your nitrites.

PAR23
03-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Ooops, just saw your thread in the Disease section.

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Np, wish I could find some furan-2 locally!! But yeh my filters are def cycled.

Eddie
03-10-2011, 09:59 PM
As asked by Eddie, did you check your nitrites yet? The ongoings in your tank sounds like a water issue. I would not increase temp just yet until you get a better handle on what the problem is. Elevated temp with a bacterial infection will result in dead fish. Check your nitrites.

Very true, too many folks recommending to increase temp and add salt and thats a HUGE no no.

Vicfortier
03-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Moved issue to disease board. Thanks everyone for your insight.