PDA

View Full Version : Question about fishless cycle

jarret8x
03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
so I've been adding clear ammonia got it up to about 4 ppm but if I added tetra safe start could this possibly speed the process up if I kept adding the ammonia after I added that?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kaceyo
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I've never used Safe Start so I'm not sure if adding it to a tank with 4ppm ammonia is a good way to start, but generaly what you want to do is test the ammonia daily and only add more when the ammo level drops down. You could, for example, add more every time the ammo level drops to 2ppm, or 0ppm. Add enough to take it back up to 4ppm. When the filter can reduce the 4ppm ammo and all nitrite to 0 within 24hrs it is cycled.

jarret8x
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Ya I've done the fishless cycle before but I was thinking if I added the safe start it would jump start the bacteria

moon_knight1971
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
I used Safe Start successfully on a uncycled tank 3 weeks ago with 5 4inch discus I got from Kenny. Worked well for me as the fish are healthy and the water parameters are good. I would say the tank cycled in about a week and a half. What I would do is do 30% water changes every day with 1 of those changes being 80%. Each change I would add a little Safe Start until I was sure the tank had cycled. The water was a little "cloudy" the 1st 9 or 10 days but was crystal clear the next. I'm guessing that is when the tank fully cycled.

jarret8x
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Well I still got a little bit before I get my fish so I was thinking if I added it everything would be perfect when they arrived. Also I already do 50-60% a day for wc

discuspaul
03-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I used Safe Start successfully on a uncycled tank 3 weeks ago with 5 4inch discus I got from Kenny. Worked well for me as the fish are healthy and the water parameters are good. I would say the tank cycled in about a week and a half. What I would do is do 30% water changes every day with 1 of those changes being 80%. Each change I would add a little Safe Start until I was sure the tank had cycled. The water was a little "cloudy" the 1st 9 or 10 days but was crystal clear the next. I'm guessing that is when the tank fully cycled.

Sounds good. I believe one can get the same results with Seachem Stability.

jarret8x
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
What's the difference between safe start and stability

moon_knight1971
03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Just different brands. They both do the same thing and add bacteria instantly to your tank. Check out Smith & Fosters. They carry both brands and have info and reviews on all the products they sell so you might find that useful.

Dudley Eirich
03-10-2011, 11:05 PM
I used stability to help cycle my tank and it took about 7 weeks. From what I understand, it would have taken about 7 weeks to cycle a tank if I had not added Stability. I wasn't impressed with the product.

discussmith
03-10-2011, 11:58 PM
I just used safe start to set up a 92 gal. peacock, hap. tank. I put in the whole bottle and added 5 fish. I saw absolutely no increase in ammonia or nitrites in two weeks of testing. The fish have shown no indications of any problem whatsoever. My experience was instantaneous cycle. Not everyone has had that result so if you go that route be sure and test.

jarret8x
03-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I test all the time thanks for the opinions