PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Jennie
03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Have a pair that laid eggs on a large piece of driftwood in community tank and since wood is abt 3 ft long it won't fit in another tank I have for growout and cant use a divider to section off the protective couple because of the size of wood..so my Q is..can I let the eggs hatch and move the parents and babes to another tank after the hatch or would this be futile? Will the parents eat the babes? I want to grow the fry out in couple of seperate tanks i have

Chad Adams
03-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Jennie,
Congrats on the eggs. If you know they are viable eggs it still is probably futile. Can it be done? Yes. After the eggs hatch, however, params have to be almost exact when moving. Lot easier to move eggs. You may consider scratching this batch & just moving the couple, provided you know it is a couple. HTH
Take Care.
Chad

jimg
03-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Congratulation Jennie! glad to hear that. I agree with Chad and would just set up a new breeding tank for them. I would wait to see if they hatch too, they may eat the first few spawns anyway. They'll be going for quite a few more rounds. Good luck!

Keith Perkins
03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Jennie, any chance you can move the rest of the fish out of the community tank? Probably more trouble than it's worth, but...

Second Hand Pat
03-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Congrats Jennie and good luck with what ever you do. If the eggs are on one end of the wood maybe position part of the wood so it hangs out the top. Then either add divider or move the eggs/parents.

Jennie
03-11-2011, 07:03 AM
hmm gives me something to think abt. I can always transfer their tank water to another tank. I'll try it after the hatch(if)

jball1125
03-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Im with Chad. Get them their own place and they should do it again soon for ya.

Disgirl
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
And tell them to use your cone not the wood next time, much easier to transfer to another tank ! Good luck Jennie!
Barb

John_Nicholson
03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I have done it in the past with mixed results. Personally I would not worry about it. Let it just run ist course and if you really want to breed them move the pair to a nice 29 gallon tank and let the fornication commence....

-john