PDA

View Full Version : what type of ageing barrel to use?

Vicfortier
03-11-2011, 05:22 AM
What brand/type of aging barrel should I use? Is there any specific ones that are safe for fish? Should the say something on the label about the materials used to make it? I'm thinking the ones you can get at walmart for 7 buck are probably a bad idea, but hey, what do I know? Hence the question!

ericatdallas
03-11-2011, 05:42 AM
The ones at Walmart will hold water and -should- be safe (probably should thoroughly rinse it) but will bow out due to the weight of the water. They do make special plastic containers (or industrial kind) that are specifically for holding water. I think the "good" kind costs several times more. I've seen some at Home Depot that look like they would probably work. I've used the smaller/cheaper ones from Walmart with turtles before and had no problems.

I've heard using cylindrical outdoor trash bins will work too (but don't know from personal experience).

jarret8x
03-11-2011, 07:27 AM
I use a brute from home depot for my storage

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I use a brute from home depot for my storage

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

+1, the 44 gallon ones.

PAR23
03-11-2011, 12:48 PM
+1, the 44 gallon ones.

+2. Very durable.

jimg
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I use 55 gallon drums from a wine making place, they cut the tops off so I use 2" styro insulation board cut to fit. Insulated on side with duct insulation, min heat loss. drill holes on side for float valves, airline and hole at base for drain line to pump.

MGKelly
03-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I just got 2-105 gallon barrels from Kentucky Tanks, now i need to concentrate on water quality.

Joe

Larry Bugg
03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
It makes a big difference if you tell us how many gallons you are trying to age? I was using the 44 gallon brute trash cans till about a month ago. They are perfect if you don't need to hold a large amount of water but at about $50 each they are expensive. I am now using a 330 gallon tote that is food safe. You can pick these up on craigs list for about $75 each. They run new for about $400 but due to goverment guidelines they can only be used commercially one time. Thats why you can find them fairly cheap. Make sure it is food grade though. 275 and 330 gallons are pretty standard.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/DSC_0002.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/DSC_0004.jpg

John_Nicholson
03-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Yep I use 7 330 gallon food grade totes like Larry has. The guy here has a warehouse of them. He wanted $90 bucks per. I paid $75.

-john

Northwoods Discus
03-11-2011, 05:48 PM
The big square totes are great if you have the right place to put them or can get them in. Or leave them outside in warm climates. I was not able to fit one of those in my fishroom. I ended up ordering a 265 gallon tank from Tank Depot that was 30 inches in diameter and around 85 inches tall. It fit in the corner of my room. Its a monster of a tank. I am just getting it going and have plumbed the room to deliver the water without buckets or hoses. It was not an inexpensive item. To grow out fish though the trash cans etc were too small to have enough for a 24 hour ageing. I totaled all the gallons of fish tanks I had to do changes on and the percentage water I wanted to change each day. That came to the 250 gallons I now have.

TURQ64
03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Yep I use 7 330 gallon food grade totes like Larry has. The guy here has a warehouse of them. He wanted $90 bucks per. I paid $75.

-john
I'd love to run accross one or five of those puppy's..never seen 'em around here (sparse) what do you search under on craigslist??

Larry Bugg
03-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd love to run accross one or five of those puppy's..never seen 'em around here (sparse) what do you search under on craigslist??

I searched under "water tote". If you google water tote you will seem them listed for new and that is the name given. I looked over a period on several weeks before I decided to buy one and there were probably 8 different listings for them in the Atlanta area. Most metropolitan areas will probably have them available. Just a matter of finding them.

Jhhnn
03-11-2011, 10:48 PM
The big Brute trashcans are used often. I use recycled 55gal poly barrels, but it's very important to know your source and to use only barrels that contained food grade stuff...

The barrels are tough, built to be kicked around, and the totes are great for people who have a warm place to keep 'em. They just won't fit thru standard doors, at all.

just search for "tote" on craigslist, or "food grade barrels"

TURQ64
03-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I did barrels for twenty years, and my wife's had it with them..plain and simple..And I'm finally tired of them myself..If one or two would work, it might be different, but mucho barrels turns ugly..

Keith Perkins
03-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I've got 4 trash cans, two RO and two RO waste. I put the heaters on a timer and the reservoirs on 1 1/2 high density Styrofoam to give my wife the illusion of efficiency. I was worried about insulation on the outside of the cans getting wet. I inquired about spray on at Home Depot, but the manufacturer said it wouldn't stick to the plastic. I know I get the sides wet from the lid condensation I dump from time to time.

ericatdallas
03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I've got 4 trash cans, two RO and two RO waste. I put the heaters on a timer and the reservoirs on 1 1/2 high density Styrofoam to give my wife the illusion of efficiency. I was worried about insulation on the outside of the cans getting wet. I inquired about spray on at Home Depot, but the manufacturer said it wouldn't stick to the plastic. I know I get the sides wet from the lid condensation I dump from time to time.

What do you store the RO waste for?

Keith Perkins
03-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I grow out my juvies with it. I do 95% WCs about every other day, I'm growing out some 10 month old Blue Diamond x Blue Snakeskin Crosses. Going to post some pics shortly on the I love the blues thread, along with their parents.

Vicfortier
03-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I bought a brute can. Don't quite have need for a tote, though I would be scared to use one anyway. We use them at my work and if you knew what we put in them you wouldn't want to use it for aging. Lol. But I guess different sources use them for different thing. We use them for storage of industrial adhesives. And its impossible to clean the totes. Lol. Anyways thanks for all the responses!

RodneyL001
03-15-2011, 08:31 AM
I use a 65 gal. trash can I bought from Wal-Mart, their most sturdy type. I had one that was made of a thinner plastic, and it sprung a leak.