View Full Version : Eddies Saftey...

silent_thunder
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Praying for you brother...
PLEASE let us know if your ok...
Dan

TURQ64
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
He's prolly gotta work!...Maybe makin' ready for emergency work...No talk of damage in Okinawa..

Melissa
03-11-2011, 02:22 PM
In eddies homesteader section he let everyone know he's alright! Don't worry guys! :)

jeepdad
03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
if I may ask, what does Eddie do? My heart goes out for all those people that have lost everything.

Foxfire
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Let us hope all is well - he is one of the best people that posts here and works so hard here to help so many people. he never fails to try and give people solid advice and spend the time and effort to provide informatiuon he has collected over the years in hard work - such people are rare.

MSD
03-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Hmmm, I thought Eddie was no longer in Japan but on a tour of duty. Prayers for you and your family Eddie, this country will not forget you, we will not forget you.

Eddie
03-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, I thought Eddie was no longer in Japan but on a tour of duty. Prayers for you and your family Eddie, this country will not forget you, we will not forget you.

Hey Mark, im still in Japan but I'm in Okinawa. All is well with me here.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jennie
03-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Yep Eddie royal PITA!

alpine
03-12-2011, 09:35 PM
My heart goes out to the Japanese people . What a horrendous experience .. So many people have been touch by this . No one could ever begin to understand the level of destruction this has caused . I am not a praying man but my thoughs and well wishes go out to the whole country .

Roberto.

Eddie
03-12-2011, 09:36 PM
My heart goes out to the Japanese people . What a horrendous experience .. So many people have been touch by this . No one could ever begin to understand the level of destruction this has caused . I am not a praying man but my thoughs and well wishes go out to the whole country .

Roberto.

Ditto, I wish I could get involved in the recovery efforts. :(

bigfish
03-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Hello Eddie,
Glad your safe, watching the media over here , and it looks horrendous, a terrible disaster for the Japanese people.
Take care buddy Regards............Ben.

Fern
03-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I am glad to hear that you and family are safe, you came to mind when I heard of the earth quake....
I am speechless after watching the images.......
I am not a praying man but my thoughs and well wishes go out to the whole country

LizStreithorst
03-13-2011, 12:25 PM
And now, in addition to everything else they have suffered, their is exposure to the venting of neucular waste from the partial melt down of power plants. Itls like hurricane Katrina 10 times worse.

Eddie is fine. Please pray for the people who have lost everything and the ones who are still in danger. Japan has taken one hell of a hit from Mother Nature. It could easily have happened in Califlornia.

mmorris
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
And now, in addition to everything else they have suffered, their is exposure to the venting of neucular waste from the partial melt down of power plants. Itls like hurricane Katrina 10 times worse.

Eddie is fine. Please pray for the people who have lost everything and the ones who are still in danger. Japan has taken one hell of a hit from Mother Nature. It could easily have happened in Califlornia. Well put, Liz, and let's remember it wasn't Mother Nature who put nuclear power facilities on fault zones. Japan tends to do a good job with earthquake-tolerant construction. I hate to think what might happen in this country if (when) an earthquake of similar magnature strikes near our facilities that were similarly built on fault lines. The US news media has been 'assuring' us that our nuclear plants aren't like the Japanese plants. No comfort there.

LizStreithorst
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't know but I think that Japan does a better job than the US. I heard on NPR but, don't know, that the Japanese built nuclear power plants along fault lines. Surely not...

We build hugely expensive homes and important businesses in a place that will fall into the ocean sooner or later. We humans have an immense capacity for denial.

It's much better to live in the country than in a city. We country folks can grow our own, fish and hunt. It is unikely that we will starve.

My nephew once said to me that he wasnt worried because he lives i the city where EVERYTHING is avallable. All I could do was shake my head.

ericatdallas
03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
The whole nuclear thing is being blown out of proportion and sensationalized in the media. One title I read was "10k feared dead amid nuclear crisis" which is totally misleading... 10k are dead due to the natural disaster, the nuclear "crisis" is a result of that as well and has yet to lead to any deaths (as of my last reading).

Another article I read kept saying, "explosion at reactors" and saying how japan has not seen the likes of which since Hiroshima and Nagasaki... again, totally different events.

I suppose it gets people reading but they're doing immense damage to our long-term energy security.

I'm not saying what's going on in the reactors isn't serious ... I'm just saying it's not as bad as the media or the general populace is making it out to be. The people at greatest risk are the poor reactor workers trying to put it in control.

LizStreithorst
03-13-2011, 06:06 PM
It is like we had at 3 mile island, a partial melt down. They have given iodine pills to the workers and to people who live close to the reactors.

Nuclear power is clean and efficient until a problem presents itself. When there is a problem it is a huge problem. Go ahead, tell me otherwise.

snowflake311
03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
What about the volcanoe that is acting up in south japan. It's All crazy.

ericatdallas
03-13-2011, 06:32 PM
It is like we had at 3 mile island, a partial melt down. They have given iodine pills to the workers and to people who live close to the reactors.

Nuclear power is clean and efficient until a problem presents itself. When there is a problem it is a huge problem. Go ahead, tell me otherwise.

huh? I wasn't implying that nuclear power is 100% foolproof or that it doesn't have its disadvantages at all... I'm just saying the the media is sensationalizing it.

Even if I put numbers and facts to it, people believe what they want to belief. If something bad happens, people read into the facts as they see fit for their agenda. That works both ways, including for the nuclear incidents in Japan. I'm merely criticizing how irresponsible it is for the media not to present the facts. They're biasing uninformed opinions on the matter and that can be detrimental to longterm energy policy. Is nuclear power the end-all be-all solution to our energy concerns? Nope. Is solar power? I don't think so either. It's a combination of all the tools we have at our disposal.

The fact is, everything can be said to work great until it's broken. My car drives until it's broken. My solar panel works until there is no sun. My wind generator works until there is no wind.

I can spit out all sorts of facts for and against nuclear power. Coal actually spews out more radioactive components than a reactor when burned. All the nuclear fuel used up for US power generation can be stored in a football field. About 10kg of U-238 can power NY city for 20 years (that's pure U-235 and assuming 100% absorption but the calculation gives you the range of how little it takes - I'm also spouting from memory and the actual time and mass may vary).

The fact is, the risk of a 3-mile island is minimal. The risk of Chernobyl is almost nil. Does that mean the impact is any less severe than those who are directly impacted, not at all?

So far reactor 1 is contained by injecting seawater doped with boron. What does this tell us? That the power company has measures in place and they're willing to use it to protect the population. Injecting corrosive sea water into the reactor is a death sentence for the reactor. It essentially must be written off.

So if you re-read my original post, I never stated that this doesn't have the potential to be bad.

I stated:
1) Media is sensationalizing it. I mean, "10k dead amid fears of a nuclear meltdown." You don't think that's misleading?
2) Explosions at reactor - nuclear incidents Japan hasn't seen since Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The media is portraying it like a nuclear meltdown will cause a nuclear explosion. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the worst case scenario will NOT be a Hiroshima-like event. In fact, reactors are built to prevent that from being possible.

I also never stated that nuclear power was clean or efficent, although I'm saying that now :)

Media being irresponsible - yes, definitely saying that. Saying that doesn't imply my stance on nuclear power though either.

Eddie
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
LOL, you guys are killing me! This went from me being okay, to the people of Japan not being okay, to nuclear crisis.

At the moment, the US military is immensely involved in the rescue/recovery effort. There are several cargo aircraft, about 100 personnel and tons of cargo from my unit up in the mix right now. If my unit is involved than you can bet almost every unit from every base in the pacific is being tasked.

Eddie

LizStreithorst
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Well that was long winded...

I don't know where you get your news, I watch the BBC and listen to NPR. They report the news. They don't sensationalize it.

Eddie
03-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Well that was long winded...

I don't know where you get your news, I watch the BBC and listen to NPR. They report the news. They don't sensationalize it.

LOL

LizStreithorst
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Apparently you think otherwise, Eddie. I'd like to hear you criticize the BBC as far as objectivity.

ericatdallas
03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm going to drop this because I feel that this has nothing to do with Discus Basics and you almost feel like my statements were a personal attack on you. I hope that's not how you feel, if it is, it was never meant to be. As I said, I felt the coverage by the media was less than objective (the succint version of my "long-winded" post).

Eddie
03-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Apparently you think otherwise, Eddie. I'd like to hear you criticize the BBC as far as objectivity.

LOL, not at all Liz, I just like how you interact with other members. ;)

Keith Perkins
03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Eddie, I'm sure you're safer that way, and that is what this thread is suppose to be about. Chuckle, chuckle.

Eddie
03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Eddie, I'm sure you're safer that way, and that is what this thread is suppose to be about. Chuckle, chuckle.

LOL, I think it WAS but has changed direction. Either way, I'm safe! :)

ericatdallas
03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
LOL, I think it WAS but has changed direction. Either way, I'm safe! :)

...and if you start glowing in the dark, I think that's a plus :)

Eddie
03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
...and if you start glowing in the dark, I think that's a plus :)

Hell yeah! Won't ever need a flashlight! WOOHOOO

LizStreithorst
03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
LOL, not at all Liz, I just like how you interact with other members. ;)

Well Eddie, I never say what I believe is not true.

Eddie
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Well Eddie, I never say what I believe is not true.

I hear ya, straight shooter. ;)

ericatdallas
03-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I hear ya, straight shooter. ;)

Isn't it possible to be an expert marksman and still aim at the wrong target?

Eddie
03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Isn't it possible to be an expert marksman and still aim at the wrong target?

This is true but if you believe its the right target...thats all that matters. LOL

Keith Perkins
03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
This is true but if you believe its the right target...thats all that matters. LOL

Isn't that James O'Keefe's motto?

Eddie
03-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Isn't that James O'Keefe's motto?

LOL, I think he might dropped that line once or twice. :)