PDA

View Full Version : Moving from high ph to low ph....

Melissa
03-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Ok... So I just rescued my pair from their 2 week old fry... They were super stressed and agitated trying to get away from the swarm so I pulled the pair and put them in a bucket.... I wasn't ready to remove the parents I don't have another tank set up for them yet. So my only option is to put them in my Heckels tank.
Ph the pair is used to is 7.6... Heckel tank is 6.4......

What do I do? :confused:

Melissa
03-12-2011, 06:08 AM
I guess really my question is how fast is too fast to do this... I've never fiddled with water params before so I've never had to acclimate fish from a high ph to a lower one.l. Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.
And considering I have fish in a bucket, any advice at all any time soon would be nice LOL

Ardan
03-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Can you set up another tank in a hurry or a divider of some sort?
Going from high ph to low ph may cause burns.

hth
Ardan

TURQ64
03-12-2011, 08:20 AM
well, if they are really in a bucket, get an airstone and a heater in it,then start a drip from your Heckle tank to the bucket. keep taking out water when it gets too full, and by evening, you should be in the clear to transfer them..otherwise, a 20g of their own is about the best quick answer.

ericatdallas
03-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Can you get a divider for your tank? Might buy some time.

kaceyo
03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Are the fry eating enough other foods to go on their own? If not, I would put one of the parents back with the fry. Often one parent can take care of a spawn with much less strain than two parents. That would at least take care of one parent.
I wouldn't try to put a discus in a tank with the pH that much lower within 24hrs. And, you would have needed another tank very soon anyways. Maybe now is the time?

Darrell Ward
03-14-2011, 04:56 AM
I realize it's way too late now, but situations like this is where a 4" thick piece of Poret foam can really come in handy in a pinch. You can wedge it across the tank for a quick divider, make filters with it, use it as a media, the list goes on and on. Quite remarkable stuff.