PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts Please

ChrisNorris
03-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive been contemplating getting into wild discus for a long while now, and recently a local importer of mine contacted me to let me know that she had just gotten in some wild heckels from Glaser, however she was unable to give me any further information about their origin. I'm assuming that a simple video will not be able to pinpoint the origin of these fish, however I'm hoping that someone can give me a little more information on them. I am also curious as to what you think about the quality of these fish, the overall impression that I got from the video was that they look quite good for wilds (apart from the runt at the front), however I am far from expert.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdX6_NT8G44

(P.S save your eardrums and mute the video!)

Discus Origins
03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
They are young fish and IMO not in good shape...a few you can see caved in bellys and the flesh around the head have wasted away. They aren't colored up to differentiate at this point but I am leaning towards Rio Negro as there is not a lot of blue in the striations.

These fish have been neglected and I've received fish from Glaser they take excellent care of their stock. I would hesitate to purchase any of them.

Mark

Darrell Ward
03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, A few of them look quite ill. I would probably stay away from this batch. Generally, it's not worth it trying to get them all healthy.

Willie
03-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I see two fish with sunken bellies, but have no issues with the other ones. If you have difficulty getting wilds, I would think it's worth a shot as long as you get to hand pick. The sunken belly ones should not go into your tank, even if the wholesaler gives them to you for free.

JMO, Willie

Altum Nut
03-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Chris,

I have to agree with the others regarding the over-all condition of these Discus. Would not be a great start at wilds.
Yourself being in Australia...you might want to check out one of our sposors ROD LEWIS. I think he still has some very nice Browns if your looking for the wild look. I'm sure he can set you up.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?85740-Febuary-2011-FTZ-Discus-Shipment

...Ralph

ChrisNorris
03-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the quick replies. The fish are being brought from Quarantene to the store today, so I might go and check them out first hand. Correct me if im wrong, but from my experience wilds are very hard to get in Australia, especially Heckels, hence why I was quite keen on this batch. I will try and get some pictures or a video of the fish in stock within a few days so that we can hopefully get a better look at these fish.

Thanks again,

Chris

ShinShin
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Leave them be. A couple razor heads and concave bellies only means bad news for the buyer. The ones not physically displaying internal parasitic infestation symptoms, most likely will soon enough.

Mat

Iralde
03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
May be you will learn with them if their not so expensive. Some owners used to keep not very nice fishes, just to learn.