PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Can't decide on what to do (and in some case how to do it)! Fish room - sorta..

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Okay, so I have two aquariums in the living room and my wife will allow a small aquarium upstairs in the hall way or as many aquariums as I can fit in the basement.

The problem with the basement is I have no sink. I do have the washer and dryer (hence plumbing). I also have a hole in the basement where the sump is that pumps water outside (possible drain?).

So I have a few options...

Option 1:
Tap the washer and dryer? What about the drain? Should I tap into the same one the washer uses. Can I use the hole in the basement where the sump is installed? This doesn't seem like a smart idea as this pump is between me and a flooded basement (thinking wear and tear) but the house I'm renting is on a very steep hill... so probably not likely.

Option 2:
The other option I was thinking was buying a pump and pumping water down the stairs and up the stairs to the bathroom right next to the entrance of the basement. The problem there is I would have to buy a strong pump and run hoses every time I want to do anything. Kind of a pain... I technically only need the pump going up as going down gravity will handle.

Option 3:
Any other ideas?

I just can't decide how I want to do this... every time I think I should tap into existing plumbing I think about how I rent this house and probably shouldn't mess with it. Every time I think about using a pump I think about the hassle of it.

Thanks,

Northwoods Discus
03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
I would go for draining into the washer drain. I you drain into the sump the sump pump has to pump it out. Is this city drains or septic tank. Large water changes may overwhelm the septic flow creating problems in the yard. If it is in to a city drain and does not usually have backups I would go that way. I moved a large tank downstairs to avoid all the bucket and hose work.
You could easily hook up a plastic wash tub to drain into and then have a place to wash things etc.

Bill63SG
03-14-2011, 06:37 PM
I just recently put a sink in my basement where there wasn't one before,and had to cut into my sewer line.Never done anything like that before.Draw it out,take digital pictures,and go to Home Depot and explain what you want to do.They walked me thru it and now I have eight tanks in the basement.

scottthomas
03-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I would go for draining into the washer drain. I you drain into the sump the sump pump has to pump it out. Is this city drains or septic tank. Large water changes may overwhelm the septic flow creating problems in the yard. If it is in to a city drain and does not usually have backups I would go that way. I moved a large tank downstairs to avoid all the bucket and hose work.
You could easily hook up a plastic wash tub to drain into and then have a place to wash things etc.

I currently drain into washer drain in my basement fishroom. I do not have a sink in my fishroom. Ive never really needed one. Maybe I would use one if it was there but so far no hassles. IMO not a big deal.

Skip
03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Get a new house ;)

dbfzurowski
03-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Sink to washer drain. Easy

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Get a new house ;)

Yeah, when we move, I'm going to look for a house that will fill my fish room needs. If anything... I would feel a little better about the cost of installing a utility sink because at least it's an improvement on my property.

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Get a new house ;)

Yeah, when we move, I'm going to look for a house that will fill my fish room needs. If anything... I would feel a little better about the cost of installing a utility sink because at least it's an improvement on my property.

I suppose running a hose upstairs is kind of a hassle... The easiest would be to just cut into existing pipes.

I just recently put a sink in my basement where there wasn't one before,and had to cut into my sewer line.Never done anything like that before.Draw it out,take digital pictures,and go to Home Depot and explain what you want to do.They walked me thru it and now I have eight tanks in the basement.

About how much did that run you?

foreese
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Eric,

I had the same dilemma, you need to locate your sink close to a drainage stack (where your toilets and sinks drain too) and H/C Water supply. If you have that combination then you can easily put in a sink.

Like Bill said, draw it out and take it to home depot.

Good luck,

Frank

Bill63SG
03-15-2011, 07:35 PM

I suppose running a hose upstairs is kind of a hassle... The easiest would be to just cut into existing pipes.

About how much did that run you?

I actually found the sink on Craig's List for free,but I think Menard's has a single on sale right now on sale for 29.99.Then you need a fauct.I think all totaled it could be done for around $100-125,depending on your access.My basement is unfinished,so it was easy.

broken poles
03-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Is there a floor drain next to the furnace or water softener? Thats what I use. Other wise I would use the washer drain. You won't need as big of a pump and any modifications would be cheap and easy to reverse when you move.

Jason K.
03-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I'd go for the utility sink, this will make draining and filling much easier imo... may cost a little but worth it in the long run.

ockyra215
03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I rent a house and I use the sump pump to drain tanks its easier for me and it goes to city sewer.I would go for the sink cause i take the shower head off for filling holding my water storage barrels.I could put a sink in but it be a lot of work for me to do to leave in a year and a half when the lease is up.I have seen other memebers fishroom and a sink is a vital and easier option.